Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

New to the forum and relatively new to shooting this will be my first rifle...

Came to this late in life (65) and have been doing handguns for a couple of years.

After a lot of research just purchased my first rifle a Ruger 77/357 7419 and am trying to figure out what to do about optics for it.

Can anybody help send me down the right path here?

From the reading that I have done think that I will end up putting a scope on it and am leaning towards a 1 to 4x.

Am concerned about bolt clearance using the included scope rings and do not have much money available for this purpose.

Can anyone help with recommendations that is available in July of 2020?

Thanks and regards...

·
Cat Herder
1,629 Posts
If the rings supplied are too short Ruger offers taller ones (and may exchange them). On my lever 357 I have a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 1.75-5 with the BDC reticle and it is really good for the 357 round. Sometimes they can be found in the $150-ish range (what I paid for mine). I sometimes wish it went to 1x, but I couldn't justify the additional cost to get a 1-4 of similar quality.

·
Righteous Dude
21,609 Posts
Personally, I have a Vortex 1-4x on mine. It's a 30mm scope so I emailed Ruger and asked for 30mm rings and they obliged.

I am toying with the idea of using a red dot. In which case, I saw a great idea from another guy using a rail that attaches via the scope scallops. But he cut the rail down to only sit in the back portion of the receiver. It looked great.

Anyways, I think low magnification works great with the 357 cartridge. Vortex and Nikon usually have some great options.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
From the reading that I have done think that I will end up putting a scope on it and am leaning towards a 1 to 4x.

Am concerned about bolt clearance using the included scope rings and do not have much money available for this purpose.
You didn’t say what your plans were for your rifle........If you’re hunting 1-4X would work. If it’s for target shooting/plinking you may want more glass on the top side, 2-7X or 3-9X........it’s just easier to see your target. The 2-7X and 3-9X be used to hunt with too, just leave them set at their lowest power.

As far the rings, I believe your rifle shipped with #4 rings, those allow for an objective up to 42mm. Like Spiff said, I pretty sure Ruger will exchange the rings for a higher set, (at least they have in the past) should you have mounting issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts