Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I've got a relatively new Mini at the house that I just LOVE shooting. I might even say I love shooting it more than I do my 10/22 (but please don't tell her, I don't want any jealousy in the cabinet). Anyway, when I bought the gun I swore I'd run iron sights only as it's just a plinking rifle. But, I'm a tinkerer and I can never just leave well-enough alone. So here's what I'm thinking... I'd like to get some Warne Quick-Detach rings and a 1-4x scope (Millet, Bushnell, etc.) to put up there for some of the longer range stuff. I'd like the QD rings so I can go back and forth between irons and optics.

Now for my question:
Do you guys with optics on your Minis find that the optics are too tall for you to get a good sight picture? The peep sights are comfortable for me to use, but when looking at pictures of people's Minis with optics, they look awfully high. I don't want to add anything to the cheek rest or go swapping my stock (I like my Hogue). Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere I can go to try out an optic on the gun before I buy it. Should I be concerned about the height? I'm thinking Warne 14RL (Medium) rings and a Millet 1-4x DMS scope. I know it will clear the rear sight, just not sure if it'll be too tall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
On my mini the scope is to high for me but I can still see the iron sights under the rail (it's a preban mini 14 with the side mount scope mount) but I plan to keep the scope on it

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have a Leupold 3-9x40 scope on my stainless ranch rifle. Used one of my Ruger disocunt coupons to order one of their "spec-ops" cheek pads and that set things up great with the scope. The cheek pad fits a mini 14 perfectly, sits in place very snug with the elastic velcro attaching straps and does not move or shift. - don't remember which combination of insert pads I ended up using with it, but it raised my eye level up just perfect.

SPEC-OPS-Rifle-Cheek-Pad-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a tactical scope and mount that goes where the little slide plate is. It is a combo with an attached red dot for close in. Unfortunately, the mounting of the tactical rail is not very solid and little is required to knock the scope out of true. I'm going to order one of those cabella 223 lasers that go in the chamber. Lock the bolt and align the cross hairs on the little green dot. I like shooting at distances over 400 yards. I'm planning to do the trigger mod so that I can group in a baseball pattern at 500 yards. I am a Ruger fan from way back and this is my second Mini-14. This one is the tactical with FS and heavy bbl. I read a review on the internet a few weeks ago, and the writer said that the Mini14 had lots of recoil. Ugh what was he drinking that he thought it had lots of recoil. My minis are the least recoil of any medium bottle neck cartridge I ever shot. Now a 308 or 22-250 bolt action recoils. That mini 14 is the sweetest shooting long gun I have ever fired in 57 years of shooting. I sure would like to own that class III version with select fire and supressor. I cant afford that in this lifetime.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts