Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so some might find this one a little odd (then again, maybe not). i have an odd infatuation with food, given that as an adult i have developed food allergies, which makes me appreciate the things i can eat even more, and makes me long for the days when i could eat anything.

it doesn't help that my mom was quite the cook and gourmet, and my dad is still an appreciator of fine foods from a variety of cultures. i was 11 when i set a record in seattle for eating the most raw oysters of anybody under 18.

suffice it to say, i'm a frustrated foodie, so now (given the allergies) i'm always on the hunt for odd/unusual/different things that i can try to liven things up a bit.

i've been a fan of certain types of organ meat for awhile now, most notably duck, goose, and chicken livers especially if made into a pate. i also love sauteed chicken hearts (have some on the stove right now). i have access to a number of ethnic groceries around here and am thinking about trying some wilder things, ala anthony bourdain no reservations.

anybody else out there into this sort of stuff?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Venison heart is all that I'll eat.

I can't eat organ meats because of gout, and becaus ethey are mostly pretty gross anyway.:eek:

·
Banned
41 Posts
Chicken liver fried with onions is one of my favorites. But when you refer to it as organ meat, it kinda changes my taste for it.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Venison heart is all that I'll eat.

I can't eat organ meats because of gout, and becaus ethey are mostly pretty gross anyway.:eek:
i'd love to try venison heart. i've had plenty of venison steaks and ground, and loved those, but never any deer organ meat. scout master of mine made some elk sausage back in the day that was amongst the best sausage i've ever had.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Over here it is called offal.
Not much demand for it.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Mmmmm...fried chicken livers....mashed potatoes smothered in creamy chicken gravy....fried okra......homemade biscuits with real butter and honey......I see a bright light! Momma? Is that you?

:D

·
Registered
210 Posts
chicken heart is very popular at the bbq in brazil and really tasty!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mmmmm...fried chicken livers....mashed potatoes smothered in creamy chicken gravy....fried okra......homemade biscuits with real butter and honey......I see a bright light! Momma? Is that you?

:D
Makin' me hungry. Any way I can get some pinto beans and turnip greens with that?

·
Registered
457 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
The brain concern mentioned by Lone Star is about COW (Beef) Brains. and is connected to the outbreaks we read about of MAD COWS DISEASE. It does not extend to other species...pig for example. Calf brains used to be a standard breakfast item in our home years ago...done with scrambled eggs. You can still get deep-fried brains on a burger bun at most of the local fairs during the summer here in Hoosierland. They use Pork Brains.

I love Checken Livers as described above. Many resturants here feature them on their menu. Some of the FF chicken places have them too.

I do like good calf/beef liver too. Fried to a 'medium-well doneness level...not overdone to shoe-leather toughness, with bacon and grilled onions... mashed potatoes with pan-drippings for gravy make a solid meal. Try the Blue & White Cafe, in TUNICA, MS for great liver meals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts