Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Police Carbine has Ruger-style scope bases built into the receiver, allowing optical sights to be easily and securely mounted. I think a scope would be your only choice....never seen one with a red dot or anything?
I use the factory iron sights,( not great, but they work for me)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Police Carbine has Ruger-style scope bases built into the receiver, allowing optical sights to be easily and securely mounted. I think a scope would be your only choice....never seen one with a red dot or anything?
I use the factory iron sights,( not great, but they work for me)
I knew a frequent poster had an original PC4, i just couldn't remember who. With the Ruger style scope base in the receiver, would Weaver scope rings fit, if not what kind? My PC4 has the ghost ring sights and for fairly close distances (40 feet) they work well. I like to challenge myself and the gun with longer distances. If i mount a scope or red dot, I'd like to use high scope rings so i could still use the ghost ring for close shooting.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
831 Posts
yes!

Yes! thats a great price and it looks great too.
I would take a chance and try it, your only out 11 bucks.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,595 Posts
GG&G makes a conversion rail for the mini 14 and 30 that should work for the original pc rifles to. Its a bit lower profile than the one mike listed. I had a very similiar one like mike listed, it was not a 1913 spec though. I later traded it out for the gg&g that allowed more options. The GG&G has a relief cut on the bottom for the brass to eject as well. Here is one of mine with the triple g mount.

I also have the alternate gg&g mount made specifically for the burris fast fire series red dots that mount the same way as the 1913 to the reciever but is not 1913 railed on the top, a slimmer profile. I may be willing to part with it if your interested, its been sitting in my gun toolbox for some time collecting dust. Here is the link to them.

https://www.gggaz.com/mini-14-mini-30-ranch-rifle-mini-red-scope-mounts.html

Here is all the options they have... these are all military grade quality.

https://www.gggaz.com/ruger-mini-14-mini-30-accessories.html

Attachments

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike Tack thanks for the added info ...

I guess i need to figure out what optic, scope verses red dot ...

·
"The Real Deal"
6,595 Posts
Mike Tack thanks for the added info ...

I guess i need to figure out what optic, scope verses red dot ...
Just let me know if your interested in the gg&g mount, we will work out something buddy.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,595 Posts
Just to add, I always use a red dot with pistol caliber guns I own due to the effectiveness being a short distance. Once that pill goes subsonic the groups tend to be random more so than planned. On my hk pattern mp5 in 9mm I have a eotech 512. My imi uzi has a primary arms microdot. My rock river lar 9 (ar15) I just use the irons on it. All of them are sighted at 50 yards. I could see maybe a 1-4× 24, but anything above that will probably not be needed. Heck even my 450 bushmaster which uses .452 bullets same as the 45 colt and 454 casull I finally ended on a vortex strikefire from a 1-4×24 since its not a long distance shooter for the same reasons, and red dot is capable out to a couple hundred yards for me. Its pushing 2000 to 2100 feet per second in comparison. Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to add, I always use a red dot with pistol caliber guns I own due to the effectiveness being a short distance. Once that pill goes subsonic the groups tend to be random more so than planned. On my hk pattern mp5 in 9mm I have a eotech 512. My imi uzi has a primary arms microdot. My rock river lar 9 (ar15) I just use the irons on it. All of them are sighted at 50 yards. I could see maybe a 1-4× 24, but anything above that will probably not be needed. Heck even my 450 bushmaster which uses .452 bullets same as the 45 colt and 454 casull I finally ended on a vortex strikefire from a 1-4×24 since its not a long distance shooter for the same reasons, and red dot is capable out to a couple hundred yards for me. Its pushing 2000 to 2100 feet per second in comparison. Just a thought.
i'm leaning towards a red dot just need to do the research ...

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tacky ... out of the eotech 512 and the vortex strikefire which do you prefer ...

·
"The Real Deal"
6,595 Posts
Tacky ... out of the eotech 512 and the vortex strikefire which do you prefer ...
Well thats a tough question brother. I like things and dislike things about both. Here are my personal pro's and con's.

Strike fire by vortex.

Pros

Its very affordable compared to others in its class roughly half of the eotech.
It has a no questions asked lifetime warranty thats transferrable even if your not the original owner.
Battery life is pretty good.
It has night vision capabilities if your using head mounted NVG.
You can get a light diffuser for the front or anti reflection device, I have a few of them.
Uses pretty much the same mounts as the aimpoint comp2, 3, 4 and patrol optic, a 30mm.
Comes with the flip over lens covers from the factory, aimpoint you have to purchase seperate.
Its a robust sight and never lost zero with mine.
It will cowitness with iron sights on some firearms.
Cons

The first series which I have several of has the on off button on the side, so if you lay the rifle down, you can accidentally turn the sight on. The newer version is on the rear.
I have both versions the red green and the straight red. The combination one is not a good outside optic during bright sunny days, the red only is the best way to go, is ok for bright sunlight.
The dot is a 4moa somit covers 4" of target at 100 yards roughly, so no precision, but good enough for combat, medium to large game as well, 2 and 4 legged.
Adding a magnifier makes the 4 moa dot even larger and less easy to use at distance.
If the lens cracks the sight is useless, and will have to be replaced.
On the brightest setting you get a halo effect.
Can be blurry reticle if you have astigmatism.
Uses a special battery You wont find locally.

All in all its a great sight, I own 7 or 8 of them, and im picky so that should suffice for my trust in them.

Ok now the eotech

Pros

Its a military grade optic, very robust and practical
If the lens gets cracked it can still be used as long as their is any glass left in the display due to the eotech being a holographic sight.
Batteries are pretty good being AA and I perfer lithiums in mine, battery life is not as long as the aimpoint or strikefire. However you can get batteries locally.
The dot is a 1 moa in the center and 65 moa circle on the outside so it only covers 1" at 100 yards which allows more precise shot placement.
A magnifier can be added and can still be truly useful at distance for example 4x magnification at 100 equals what the strikefire does with no magnification.
It is night vision compatible as well.
You can swap out the battery compartemnt for a laser combination, very innovative.
Buttons are on the rear so no accidental turn ons.
Will cowitness with iron sights on some firearms.
It works perfectly on an AR, and many others from the tactical family.
Reticle flashes wheh battery is getting low.
Reticle can easily be seen day or night.
Better for people with astigmatism

Ok the cons

Its expensive, usually north of $400.
I paid roughly over $500 for several of mine through gg&g to get the quick release accucam mount and lens covers since it doesn't come with them, and I wanted them.
I wish the adjustments had a more positive click to them than they do.
Its a very tall sight, and just does not look right on some firearms because of it. Rather blocky.
Not sure about the warranty. It has one, just dont remember how long.
You cannot adjust the height by swapping rings like with the 30mm sights. The height is what it is.

My conclusion.

The eotech has the best reticle hands down, I iwsh the others had that setup. The vortex is a great sight, and half the price of the eotech however the eotech is military grade. Now if I could put the eotechs reticle into other sights I may be content, maybe.
You really cannot go wrong with either one they both perfrom well, , hold zero, and are rock solid. If you have eye issues, or want more precise sight placement the eotech, if combat accuracy is good enough the strikefire can do it. Stay away from the red/ green reticle version unless you do the majority of your shooting indoors. The bright red reticle is great outdoors. If you want to run a magnifier, go with the eotech. If you want to be able to make height adjustments the strikefire will the eotech wont. I like both, and they both have their place, thats why I own 6 or 7 eotechs, and 7 or 8 strikefires. Most of my eotechs are mounted on ar rifles, one on my mp5 in 9mm. I have a few AR's with strikefires, run one on a mini 14 std, and the hk91, in addition to a few others. I also own an eotech xps which takes up less rail space and uses a single battery, just a smaller package. I think the strikefire is pretty equal to the aimpoint comp 2 I have on my m1a scout, just half the price, the aimpoint does have a longer battery life.

So digest all that and let me know if you have any questions, I tried to cover everything about the sights I could remember. In the end both are great choices, and feel I could depend on them with my life if need be. Just really decides on price, how much accuracy I want, and asthetics when mounted on a certain firearm.

I did mount an eotech 512 on the barrel shroud on my 1919a4 beltfed and it worked perfectly due to the larger lens or viewing area. You dont see that everyday, but it works well.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well thats a tough question brother. I like things and dislike things about both. Here are my personal pro's and con's.

Strike fire by vortex.

Pros

Its very affordable compared to others in its class roughly half of the eotech.
It has a no questions asked lifetime warranty thats transferrable even if your not the original owner.
Battery life is pretty good.
It has night vision capabilities if your using head mounted NVG.
You can get a light diffuser for the front or anti reflection device, I have a few of them.
Uses pretty much the same mounts as the aimpoint comp2, 3, 4 and patrol optic, a 30mm.
Comes with the flip over lens covers from the factory, aimpoint you have to purchase seperate.
Its a robust sight and never lost zero with mine.
It will cowitness with iron sights on some firearms.
Cons

The first series which I have several of has the on off button on the side, so if you lay the rifle down, you can accidentally turn the sight on. The newer version is on the rear.
I have both versions the red green and the straight red. The combination one is not a good outside optic during bright sunny days, the red only is the best way to go, is ok for bright sunlight.
The dot is a 4moa somit covers 4" of target at 100 yards roughly, so no precision, but good enough for combat, medium to large game as well, 2 and 4 legged.
Adding a magnifier makes the 4 moa dot even larger and less easy to use at distance.
If the lens cracks the sight is useless, and will have to be replaced.
On the brightest setting you get a halo effect.
Can be blurry reticle if you have astigmatism.
Uses a special battery You wont find locally.

All in all its a great sight, I own 7 or 8 of them, and im picky so that should suffice for my trust in them.

Ok now the eotech

Pros

Its a military grade optic, very robust and practical
If the lens gets cracked it can still be used as long as their is any glass left in the display due to the eotech being a holographic sight.
Batteries are pretty good being AA and I perfer lithiums in mine, battery life is not as long as the aimpoint or strikefire. However you can get batteries locally.
The dot is a 1 moa in the center and 65 moa circle on the outside so it only covers 1" at 100 yards which allows more precise shot placement.
A magnifier can be added and can still be truly useful at distance for example 4x magnification at 100 equals what the strikefire does with no magnification.
It is night vision compatible as well.
You can swap out the battery compartemnt for a laser combination, very innovative.
Buttons are on the rear so no accidental turn ons.
Will cowitness with iron sights on some firearms.
It works perfectly on an AR, and many others from the tactical family.
Reticle flashes wheh battery is getting low.
Reticle can easily be seen day or night.
Better for people with astigmatism

Ok the cons

Its expensive, usually north of $400.
I paid roughly over $500 for several of mine through gg&g to get the quick release accucam mount and lens covers since it doesn't come with them, and I wanted them.
I wish the adjustments had a more positive click to them than they do.
Its a very tall sight, and just does not look right on some firearms because of it. Rather blocky.
Not sure about the warranty. It has one, just dont remember how long.
You cannot adjust the height by swapping rings like with the 30mm sights. The height is what it is.

My conclusion.

The eotech has the best reticle hands down, I iwsh the others had that setup. The vortex is a great sight, and half the price of the eotech however the eotech is military grade. Now if I could put the eotechs reticle into other sights I may be content, maybe.
You really cannot go wrong with either one they both perfrom well, , hold zero, and are rock solid. If you have eye issues, or want more precise sight placement the eotech, if combat accuracy is good enough the strikefire can do it. Stay away from the red/ green reticle version unless you do the majority of your shooting indoors. The bright red reticle is great outdoors. If you want to run a magnifier, go with the eotech. If you want to be able to make height adjustments the strikefire will the eotech wont. I like both, and they both have their place, thats why I own 6 or 7 eotechs, and 7 or 8 strikefires. Most of my eotechs are mounted on ar rifles, one on my mp5 in 9mm. I have a few AR's with strikefires, run one on a mini 14 std, and the hk91, in addition to a few others. I also own an eotech xps which takes up less rail space and uses a single battery, just a smaller package. I think the strikefire is pretty equal to the aimpoint comp 2 I have on my m1a scout, just half the price, the aimpoint does have a longer battery life.

So digest all that and let me know if you have any questions, I tried to cover everything about the sights I could remember. In the end both are great choices, and feel I could depend on them with my life if need be. Just really decides on price, how much accuracy I want, and asthetics when mounted on a certain firearm.

I did mount an eotech 512 on the barrel shroud on my 1919a4 beltfed and it worked perfectly due to the larger lens or viewing area. You dont see that everyday, but it works well.
Tacky ... came across this while surfing at lunch. Any experience with this?

price is in my wheelhouse so to speak ...

thoughts ...

Attachments

·
"The Real Deal"
6,595 Posts
Tacky ... came across this while surfing at lunch. Any experience with this?

price is in my wheelhouse so to speak ...

thoughts ...
Yes I have a fast fire II piggy backed on a 3-9×50 nikon on my coyote ar rifle. Its a good little optic bout the size of a quarter. I like the 3 better than the 2 because you don't have to unmount it to change the battery. The 2 you do. Due to its size it works well on pistol slides, and other practical places that larger sights will hinder you or wont fit. Its not protected like the strikefire or eotech so you have to be more careful with it, would invest in the protective mount for it. If you want the minimalist sight, that is it very small and lightweight. If you want a bigger sight picture id go with the previous strikefire or eotech. The mount i have is for the fastfire which allows you to mount it to the mini or pc platform. I will look and see if I have a picture of my coyote rifle so you can see how I mounted it. My bdc scope is setup for 100 to 600 yards, the fastfire is setup for 25 yards, think the dot is also 4moa. That way I have up close and distance options quickly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts