Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m working on our shop to repair our auto lift so I’m doing a lot of cleaning these days. I came up with this wonderful Outers shotgun cleaning kit that my father-in-law had left nearby.

I think it was for his father-in-law‘s 16 gauge shotgun, that my wife’s nephew now owns. Isn’t he going to get a surprise when I show him this?

It’s really a work of industrial art. Everything about it charms me, as it reminds me of a different era of hunting technology, one that I prefer. Back then, I used to go into the local sporting goods shop and stare at the Winchester and Savage and Remington long guns.

E0CA28EB-9367-4935-84CB-488E59FD1EE8.jpeg
0A64A53D-9336-4FB4-A56A-2C8ECBEEE3D7.jpeg

·
Registered
794 Posts
Boy does that bring back the memories. Bought two back in the 60s with the red metal box for a rimfire I had and a shotgun. Am sure they cost under $5 back around 68. Wish I would have kept em now. Bought another Outer's in 73 I still have but the black case is plastic not metal. Matter of fact I bought the red metal cleaning kit the same day I bought my Puma Skinner for around $27 including tax!! The Skinner was made in 1966 according to the nos. stamped on the hilt. Thanks for bringing back some memories.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I've had several back in the 60's and more than likely still do somewhere.
To this day that solvent smells better than hoppies.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
That shotgun cleaning kit is a time machine. Just looking at it in the picture gives me a sense of nostalgia.

I love looking at old manufactured products and printed publications. There's something uniquely recognizable about the color schemes and fonts that says "mid-20th Century."

It reminds me of when we visited my grandparents back in the early '80s, and my brother and I would rifle through my dad's and uncles' old stuff they had in the basement. It was all stuff from the '50s and '60s. I also had a big stack of Reader's Digest magazines from the early '60s I enjoyed reading when I was a kid. That font and color scheme was all over them.

That cleaning kit is a treasure. Take good care of it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Really pisses me off that I don't have mine. Probably never gave it a second thought tossin it when I got a new kit. Something special about nostalgia especially when we get older.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Got a Western Auto single shot .410 for Christmas 1959 with an Outers Cleaning Kit Looked just like that one . Still have the metal box and still using the aluminum cleaning rod ... but used up all the cleaning stuff ages ago . That little tube of black grease lasted a long , long time ...
... I wonder if Outers still makes it ?
Well I checked ... and Outers " Gunslick" gun grease is still made , still comes in a tube but the little tube is now plastic and not metal like tubes used to be made of . I'm going to get some ... just for old times sake !
That's Cool ... thanks for posting ...
Gary

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My step son's father passed away and we found an old Sears kit that looks identical when we cleaned out his house. Still had the cardboard sleeve on it and nothing had ever been used inside. He wanted to keep it. I bought him a nicer modern kit and told him to stash that time capsule away for when he gets older.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Damn guys ... thanks for sharing all your thoughts. I'm sure my father has one somewhere at his place. The set I have is a cheap wooden box and the flippin' hinges aren't even on straight ... maybe that's why my father gave it to me ...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here's same vintage as OP's but a rifle cleaning kit instead of shotgun. It looks like it's missing a few pieces due to the empty clips. Not sure what went there as this was given to me by a neighbor who bought it many years ago. Probably in the sixties sometime.

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Really pisses me off that I don't have mine. Probably never gave it a second thought tossin it when I got a new kit. Something special about nostalgia especially when we get older.
Yes, which is one reason I started building models again, 1/35 AFVs and 1/72 aircraft mostly. You get a feeling that is hard to describe when kitting something you made a half century ago. Paul Bowles, a favorite writer of mine, called it “the hiss of time.”

Up to a point, nostalgia is fun. Too easy to slide into hoarding. This my rule is “as long as it fits in my study.” Then I sell stufff. Sold old toys I once collected to make room for the newly built models. But the Outers set? Needed to go to the family member with grandpa’s shotgun. I am delighted he has it now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts