Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fixin to buy my first piece on GnBrker. There's a reserve price.
If I bid $100 over what happens to be the reserve price, my bid will show
the reserve price right? not my $100 higher bid?

It's a good buy and I know about the 15 min rule, but want any other jackleg bidders to be discouraged from bidding more, in case they throw a $5 or $10 bid higher than the reserve.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Do you know the reserve price? I'm guessing you must but not all sellers set up their auctions with the reserve amount revealed. If your maximum bid is $100 over the reserve the reserve price will be the bid amount shown. If someone comes along and bids $5 over that their bid is unsuccessful (they are told that when they submit their +$5 bid) and your bid just went up $5. This can continue until someone finally outbids your maximum bid. You will then be notified via email that you have been outbid and can decide whether or not to bid higher. That's the nice thing about the 15 minute rule - no last second sniping. It's more like the auctioneer saying "going once.....going twice......" You have your chance to bid more or let the other guy have it.

This can be fun and/or an emotional roller coaster. One time I played with a guy for a couple of hours on a gun I really didn't care if I won or not. I would wait until there was less than 10 seconds left on his winning bid and I would bid it up another $5. That would reset the 15 minute rule. He would up it another $5 in a few minutes and I would wait until 10 seconds left and go another $5. He would take up another $5 and I would wait again until 10 seconds left and bid again. I did this for over 2 hours until I got tired of the sport and let him have it.

Yes I'm that mean sometimes.......

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
To the OP.............if you know it's a good buy, you can bet others do as well. Seldom if ever are you going to get a screaming deal on GB. You will pay what it's worth, you can about count on that and possibly more than it's worth, if it is something you REALLY want, which seems like it might be the case here...........LOL!!!

As said, I bid the max I am willing to pay. If I win I win, if not I move on.

And I am sure you know this, but the reserve is just the least the seller will take, doesn't mean you are guaranteed to get it for that

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Dang Wave, remind me never to piss you off. :eek: :D

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Good luck wi dat!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
You'll likely never know what the reserve price was, and it doesn't matter. A seller might set the reserve price artificially high, or low. They don't have any more insight into the "right" price than you do. If you want the gun, pay whatever it takes to get it.

I've overpaid for a few guns on GB, but they've been hard to find items and I'm happy. I've also gotten some real steals, so it evens out.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Ditto on what the others are telling you, AlbertJohnson. Decide how much you're willing to pay. Bid that amount. Easy as pie.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Whew, yeah, note to self, never try steal a watermelon out of Wave's back yard. :eek:

I don't know the reserve price, above numbers were just exs. But I WAS going to bid about a 100 over what the starting price was, which is what my top price would be. Have no idea how much higher the reserve is compared to starting price. I figure in some cases, they're the same. It's from a pawn shop and LNIB.

MSP is right. It's sort a rare piece, been waiting a month hoping one pops up.

I have a few more days to figure strategy...might sic Wave on 'em boys.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Well, if it is indeed anything resembling rare, you can rest assured you are NOT the only one to notice that. Expect it to go high if that is the case.

There is a pistol on there now that I want pretty bad. Bid is probably already twice what it's worth in reality and the "buy now" is about 300 even higher. Have to decide "how bad" I want it. Of course I've not seen another in over 10 years...........so.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How many times do you go around in this life Alabama? :D

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Do you know the reserve price? I'm guessing you must but not all sellers set up their auctions with the reserve amount revealed. If your maximum bid is $100 over the reserve the reserve price will be the bid amount shown. If someone comes along and bids $5 over that their bid is unsuccessful (they are told that when they submit their +$5 bid) and your bid just went up $5. This can continue until someone finally outbids your maximum bid. You will then be notified via email that you have been outbid and can decide whether or not to bid higher. That's the nice thing about the 15 minute rule - no last second sniping. It's more like the auctioneer saying "going once.....going twice......" You have your chance to bid more or let the other guy have it.

This can be fun and/or an emotional roller coaster. One time I played with a guy for a couple of hours on a gun I really didn't care if I won or not. I would wait until there was less than 10 seconds left on his winning bid and I would bid it up another $5. That would reset the 15 minute rule. He would up it another $5 in a few minutes and I would wait until 10 seconds left and go another $5. He would take up another $5 and I would wait again until 10 seconds left and bid again. I did this for over 2 hours until I got tired of the sport and let him have it.

Yes I'm that mean sometimes.......
Thanks ... I love the gun, she is a real keeper regardless of the price ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
I have purchased a few guns from Gunbroker and all have been real good deals. I set my realistic budget price and stick to it.

Good luck ...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now I've gotta thru the agony of waiting those last few days to the end of the auction before I bid. And just pray that Wave won't be there too. Doggone, no buy it now price.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I hate their new "15 minute rule." If you can't be present at the end of the bid, you should just lose out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts