Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone located any of these for the New Vaquero .45 Colt? Hogue says their 83000 is for old Vaquero only and will not fit the XR3 7/16" backstrap of New Vaquero. Hogue also advised that shimming the 83000 might suffice till (if?) they make a grip to fit. Ruger web site show 19911 might fit (not sure) but they show it out of stock.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
What's wrong with you?!?!?! Overboots on a New Vaq? Blasphemer!!!!!

Shimming an original Vaquero grip isn't going to work, not well at least. The grip is narrower, but also a different profile/shape, and different length. The fit would be sloppy and ugly at best, even with shims. Frankly, not worth the money to try in my book.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Please read my signature and repent before it is too late.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Kinda agree big time on whats been said putting a overmold grip on a Ruger Vaquero:eek:.......don't like them on a Ruger Blackhawk either. Have you checked with some of the grip maker's on getting a custom wood grip to meet your needs. There are several good ones out there Altamont's, Chigs Grips, Eagle Grips, possibly Hogue wood grips. Not sure if they do wood grips for the Ruger S/A's though. Now one grip maker that comes in mind is Esmarelda Grips she makes some really beautiful grips. Just a few thought good luck!!!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Kirinite is the answer you're looking for.........Eagle makes Kirinite grips for the New Vaquero/flat top Blackhawks.

It is a "grippy" plastic like material with a pearlite type look to it. I have them on my Birdshead.

That said I have a set of rubber Hogues on my range beater .357 blued Blackhawk, they work and allow me to shoot the gun accurately so I don't care how they look.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Buy a cowboy action revolver, any single action revolver for that matter and think rubber baby bumpers are a good idea... Ummmm......bring that gun back to the shop, apologize and trade it for something else. ;)

They're not made for a reason, it's just wrong, enough ppl know this so the market for those that have bumped their head are so small it doesn't warrant production. Maybe if more head bumps occur... ;)

Planty of grimacers offering slightly oversized wooden options that may help you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, gentlemen. I continue to look, in vain, for these for New Vaquero. I thought they would be easy to find since Hogue makes for "old" Vaquero. I have discussed with Hogue and Ruger and asked them to consider making them as, at age 78, with really large hands, I need a substantial grip that is not only "fatter" but longer.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Thanks for the input, gentlemen. I continue to look, in vain, for these for New Vaquero. I thought they would be easy to find since Hogue makes for "old" Vaquero. I have discussed with Hogue and Ruger and asked them to consider making them as, at age 78, with really large hands, I need a substantial grip that is not only "fatter" but longer.

Well, Hogue made them for the Blackhawk and because they used the same grip frame on the Vaquero... They really didn't set out and make them for the Vaquero. For the Blackhawk, there's been much more of a market as far more people use them with the heavier loads thus wanting the rubber. (still think it's sacrilege) With the medium frame New Vaquero (later just the Vaquero adding another bit of confusion to the whole mess) the market just isn't there to warrant the resources as they're primary used with standard or milder loads and in circumstances that wouldn't allow them anyways.
With what you say about your hands, it may be best to change to the Blackhawk or even the SBH grip frame and add rubbers to that.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
For functionality over moulded grips are great. The new vaaquero has a grip frame that is the same as the flat top and old model blackhawk. Try to find them for these guns.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
These may be suitable for you.......

These are from Private Schultz, he makes high end wood grips but just made a batch of these polyurethane black plastic grips that fit the New Vaquero- Flat Top Blackhawk grip frame. He's a super great guy to deal with, he's making me another set in white. Maybe of you ask him he can stamp out a set in something rubberized.

I may be a sinner, for using plastic on a Ruger Single Action, but I have earned that title for much worse in life than using plastic on a Ruger Single Action so I don't care:)

I don't feel the need to stay "traditional" with a 9mm stainless Blackhawk made in 2016, I wanted grips that still kept the "profile" of standard grips but were more utilitarian.

That said the Magnum Research BFR's come stock with Pachmayrs on them, so I don't know, maybe people are putting woods on them to get rid of that hideous rubber, or maybe given that these are made as field guns that people actually use, they leave them on.

If this were a beautiful blued 7.5" .45 LC Old Vaquero I wouldn't be using these, but for a range banger, I don't care. Best part is they were $32 shipped.

If high end grip guys are making plastic and rubber for Vaqueros there must be a market. Some people just want a durable grip for a "hard use" gun, and don't want $300 Spalted Maple Burl grips on a shooter.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts