Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I bought a Speed six (with fixed sights) which is shooting consistently to the right. While looking at the barrel, I see this

rgr 02.JPEG rgr 01.JPEG

Looks to me that the barrel has been screwed too much on the frame, resulting in a misalignment.

Have I something else to do than taking it to the smith? Or is there any way to refile or trim the front sight to get relatively accurate results?

Thanks.

G

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,661 Posts
Looks weird to me. I'd call Ruger + send them those pics. The guy on the phone will give you an email address.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Doubt if Ruger will be of any help , they just won't touch a Six series anymore.
Any competent gun smith with a barrel vice should be able to fix that .
The important word being " Competent" guys that put together AR's probably wont know what to do ...find a real gunsmith in your area .
Gary

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
A few things for you:....... Do not adjust the barrel alignment. To do so would be to loosen the thread engagement and be dangerous. Ruger has not been known to be "Perfect at all costs" so quite often you'll see a nice tight revolver barrel that is NOT indexed for [email protected]&. I bought an Old Army once that it's rather large front sight was almost at 90 degrees to the barrel......NOT KIDDING!!! The barrel was screwed in and then came the sighting in..... thus requiring a series of heavy hammer blows to the front sight. It shot great and on target....just looked like [email protected]&. So.... Bend the front sight if possible, or since it looks like a front sight "assembly", the whole assembly could be moved via high strength adhesive or re-drilling and tapping a new mounting hole for the assembly screw (that's a bunch of work!). Or what I've always done with such a piece......Kentucky windage, period. I have guns that I know shoot high or low and to the left and I just remember and adjust at the range. This last option is certainly the most economical of the bunch and works like a champ! Best of luck. Smithy.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
The barrel could have been overtorqued and likely was. The minor turn is not likely to leave the barrel loose.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yikes ! no heavy hammer blows and no sight bending ,,,,Please .
Old school armorers had many tricks up their sleeve for just this thing.
Unscrew barrel, Peen the contact surface or edges of the shoulder until snug 10 degrees before top dead center then tighten up .
Go shoot.
That's only one way

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
The barrel could have been overtorqued and likely was. The minor turn is not likely to leave the barrel loose.
I disagree.
Once over torqued, back it off, an undertorqued barrel is quite possible. I would back it until fully loosened and then tighten to spec and see where you site ends up. Likely it will still be off slightly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your answers.
I showed it to a gunsmith who just told me the gun was OK and I had to practice (for that part, no question he was right).
I'm quite confused and don't know what to think. He told me "the barrel, overscrewed? But to what should it be screwed?" I think I'm gonna ask to another one while following is advice to keep practicing.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Thanks for all your answers.
I showed it to a gunsmith who just told me the gun was OK and I had to practice (for that part, no question he was right).
I'm quite confused and don't know what to think. He told me "the barrel, overscrewed? But to what should it be screwed?" I think I'm gonna ask to another one while following is advice to keep practicing.
That was no gunsmith.

Try to find a real gunsmith.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Lots of parts changers out there, very few gunsmiths any more. That looks like a job for a real gunsmith. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts