Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys, what are some good choices for a OWB, straight-up (i.e., 9 o'clock position) pancake-styled or paddle holster for the SR9?

I would prefer undyed leather, and I also need a left-handed solution.

Also, are there brick and mortar stores where these holsters could be seen/tried?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are tons of holsters available by a simple search of the internet. But first look up Hickok45 on you tube and watch his videos of the subject, then go to your local GS after determining which holster looks to fit the bill for you. Only you can make that decision.
The other thing is which SR9 the full size or the compact? The compact will fit most of the Glock holsters
I've found and am currently using a Blackhawk leather IWB holster made to fit G17 or G22 and it is a good fit although it's a little long, however in this case that's a good thing as the leather has formed itself so that it tapers and this helps prevent the muzzle from digging into to my hip as much as a shorter holster would.
Stay away from the really cheap ones as they are a waste of your money.
Galco, Blackhawk, El Paso Saddlery, Bianchi, all make good stuff, and are usually reasonably priced. There is a rash of makers nowadays that don't even blush when they charge almost as much for a piece of pretty leather as a good down payment on your shooting iron. Even these guys turning out Kydex holsters in their garage are really "Proud " of them and don't bat an eye charging $65 or 75 for something they have maybe $10 in parts and 20 minutes producing, and then they want you to pay the shipping! Come on!
Take your time and do your homework and I'm sure you will find just what you're looking for.
I hope this helps,
Gabby
PS
In my experience Gun Shops tend to carry only a couple of brands, and Wally world hardly anything but Uncle Mike's cheap stuff.
You may have to visit more than one store to find what suites you, a little time on the phone can save gas and aggravation. If you have some of the big name sporting good stores in your area they would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
17,258 Posts

·
Banned
365 Posts
Two words: Simply Rugged.

They make, IMHO, the best pancake style holsters available, handmade in Prescott, AZ, USA.

Take a good look at either the Cuda or Defcon 3 for your needs.

And no, I am not paid to endorse their products.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am sure you know this but I will say it anyway for others.

The forward cant ( FBI Cant ) is made to be worn behind the hip 4 or 4:30 position.

Not so comfortable at 3 - O- clock ( straight up draw ) the wrist needs to be bent at an uncomfortable angle, angles are week and straight lines are strong.

Just for those that may not be aware.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

They make, IMHO, the best pancake style holsters available, handmade in Prescott, AZ, USA.

Good OWB choices for the SR9 in "lefty mode". Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geez. Very frustrating . :mad:

The only stocked, left-handed belt holster that I found is this Mitch Rosen holster on Ruger's web-site, and its only available in Cuban Brown:

Really? Give me a break. Get with it, Ruger!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Geez. Very frustrating . :mad:

The only stocked, left-handed belt holster that I found is this Mitch Rosen holster on Ruger's web-site, and its only available in Cuban Brown:

Really? Give me a break. Get with it, Ruger!
I'm curious why you want black so much?
Often the dye rubs off on your clothes and skin. I much prefer un dyed or tan leather over black.
Gabby

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Often the dye rubs off on your clothes and skin. I much prefer un dyed or tan leather over black.
Gabby
Good point, Gabby; I hadn't thought of it that way.

How does undyed look? Also, would natural leather have to be special-ordered? I'd like to have holster around the same time that my new gun arrives!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts

I love Simply Rugged too, but have recently been thinking about getting something with a bit more cant. The Silver Dollar pancake for my LCR has about a 12 degree cant. When wearing right behind my strong side hip bone (about 4 o'cock, my preferred carry position) I find it is a bit hindered on the draw. The Bullard holsters and Bianchi 58 P.I. have a 30 degree cant. I'm really considering one of these for conceal and draw.
I would suggest to really consider exactly where you are going to carry and the cant of your holster before purchasing. Any position behind the hip bone will require at least the FBI cant of 15 degrees OR more. If you carry on the hip or in front of your hip bone, something with a straighter draw might be the ticket.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love Simply Rugged too, but have recently been thinking about getting something with a bit more cant. The Silver Dollar pancake for my LCR has about a 12 degree cant. When wearing right behind my strong side hip bone (about 4 o'cock, my preferred carry position) I find it is a bit hindered on the draw. The Bullard holsters and Bianchi 58 P.I. have a 30 degree cant. I'm really considering one of these for conceal and draw.
I would suggest to really consider exactly where you are going to carry and the cant of your holster before purchasing. Any position behind the hip bone will require at least the FBI cant of 15 degrees OR more. If you carry on the hip or in front of your hip bone, something with a straighter draw might be the ticket.
I, too, would prefer to carry behind my strong side hip. I'll take a look at the Bullard and Bianchi holsters. Thanks. ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
The FBI cant is not recommended for a straight up draw, It's for behind the hip.
A straight up draw say at 3-0 clock position, or how your arm hangs at your side,
should have no cant.

WHY ??

Take note how you would draw from a straight up at your side position.
Your forearm and wrist are relatively straight. A FBI cant with the gun behind the hip lets you draw and maintain that straight angle.

Switch them around, FBI cant at your side and you have to bend your wrist. (wrong)
No cant behind the hip and you have to bend your wrist. (wrong)

Why ??

Straight lines are strong / Angles are week.
Forearm and wrist should be as straight as possible.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The FBI cant is not recommended for a straight up draw, It's for behind the hip.
A straight up draw say at 3-0 clock position, or how your arm hangs at your side,
should have no cant.

WHY ??

Take note how you would draw from a straight up at your side position.
Your forearm and wrist are relatively straight. A FBI cant with the gun behind the hip lets you draw and maintain that straight angle.

Switch them around, FBI cant at your side and you have to bend your wrist. (wrong)
No cant behind the hip and you have to bend your wrist. (wrong)

Why ??

Straight lines are strong / Angles are week.
Forearm and wrist should be as straight as possible.
Thanks, stand tall. I'll have to grab an SR9 at a LGS and "go through the motions" to see what feel more comfy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Un dyed leather is simply leather as it comes from the tannery, usually oil of some kind is applied to keep it supple and prevent it from completely drying out. Totally dry leather gets brittle.
The oil will darken the leather naturally and sweat and oils from your skin will too. Look at a well worn western saddle and you will see where the riders body made contact with it and becomes a darker shade than the rest of the leather.
This is what I prefer over dyed leather because you don't have the dye chemicals and the dye itself in contact with your skin or clothes. Any oils will wash out and after a short time stop wicking out. Most of them are already dry to the touch by the time it reaches you or your store. They also smell better! Often the better grade holsters are made from the same vegetable tanned leather as those saddles and if you've ever been in a saddle shop you know the smell!
Not all of the holster makers make plain oiled leather holsters but routinely make them from dyed leather or dye them once they are made either black or some shade of brown / tan. In that case opt for the lightest color they have.
I hope this helps,
Gabby

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Un dyed leather is simply leather as it comes from the tannery, usually oil of some kind is applied to keep it supple and prevent it from completely drying out. Totally dry leather gets brittle.
The oil will darken the leather naturally and sweat and oils from your skin will too. Look at a well worn western saddle and you will see where the riders body made contact with it and becomes a darker shade than the rest of the leather.
This is what I prefer over dyed leather because you don't have the dye chemicals and the dye itself in contact with your skin or clothes. Any oils will wash out and after a short time stop wicking out. Most of them are already dry to the touch by the time it reaches you or your store. They also smell better! Often the better grade holsters are made from the same vegetable tanned leather as those saddles and if you've ever been in a saddle shop you know the smell!
Not all of the holster makers make plain oiled leather holsters but routinely make them from dyed leather or dye them once they are made either black or some shade of brown / tan. In that case opt for the lightest color they have.
I hope this helps,
Gabby
Good post, Gabby. Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Gabby

Sorry wrong quote, my response is in regards to the Mitch Rosen holster.

I've got that holster for my 9E and though it may not have the can't you're looking for it is a good owb holster. Mine is right handed though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Original thread edited for content.

·
Registered
103 Posts
over priced holsters

Another pet peeve of mine is holster makers that charge what the Prescott boys are charging and then don't line the holster but provide it rough side in, in the raw.
Flesh side leather is usually much rougher than the hair side and will wear the finish off your gun much faster than a lined holster. For $100 and up I would expect lined not unlined. The lining is usually some fine thin leather either from goat or calf skin. Yes you will pay for it but again at $100 and up it's expected.
I made holsters when I lived in Prescott and never charged more than $35 for an unlined holster. Back then there wasn't the need for holsters and I finally quit making them. The internet really helped the gun accessory market. But came about after I was too old to make use of it for that purpose. Too soon old too late smart!
Gabby

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another pet peeve of mine is holster makers that charge what the Prescott boys are charging and then don't line the holster but provide it rough side in, in the raw.
Flesh side leather is usually much rougher than the hair side and will wear the finish off your gun much faster than a lined holster. For $100 and up I would expect lined not unlined. The lining is usually some fine thin leather either from goat or calf skin. Yes you will pay for it but again at $100 and up it's expected.
I made holsters when I lived in Prescott and never charged more than $35 for an unlined holster. Back then there wasn't the need for holsters and I finally quit making them. The internet really helped the gun accessory market. But came about after I was too old to make use of it for that purpose. Too soon old too late smart!
Gabby
Gabby, I hear what you're sayin'. In fact, I've moved away from the pancake-style holsters and towards the easier-to-use, paddle-style holsters. The paddle-style holsters seem to much less expensive and much easier to use. Do you know any good ones for a full-size SR9? I would be much obliged. Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here is a simple one that caught my eye,

Leather Paddle Holster Fit for Different Barrel Lengths for Glock Right Black | eBay

I've already blown my wad and so I can't buy it now, but I like the way it looks like it would hang close to your side and the CANT is fully adjustable, check it out.

There seems to be a few more holsters for the full size SR9 than the compact.
Look up Fobus holsters I remember seeing some for the SR9 there.

I've discovered that my compact will fit into any leather holster made for a Glock 9mm or a S&W M&P Compact.

I currently carry it in a Blackhawk IWB Size 03 for the G 17 & 22, it was made in Italy of very good quality smooth out leather, it isn't lined but is smooth enough for a polymer pistol though it does rub around the muzzle some. But I don't notice it unless I'm looking for it. It's my EDC almost 24-7 and I've had no issues with it. I would rather have some forward cant but I bought it second hand "unused" for $20 so I can't complain and I've had it for 2 years now.

So I would recommend you do some searches for leather holsters sized for a corresponding Glock the most you may need to do is soak the holster in water then put your pistol in a plastic bag or wrap it good with Saran Wrap and force it in and let it dry completely before using it that way it will conform perfectly to your gun. The stitching around the trigger guard will be a little off but is only cosmetic and really hardly noticeable and doesn't affect fit or usage.
Never put a heavy coat of oil on your holster as it will become too soft and maybe even floppy and rubbery. A little saddle soap a time or 2 a year won't hurt and some neutral shoe polish if you think it really needs it. It may take a little while to "break" in so practice your draw often which will help it relax then you'll hardly notice it when you draw. My holster will still hold my gun even though I'm holding it upside down and shaking it but not real hard. With it inside my belt I think I could do a double flip and not lose it, I actually have fallen with it on and it didn't bobble even though I rolled over completely.
Not fun at 73!

Stick with the better brand names and you should get a good quality item. You should be able to find a very good one for under $70.00, and a very acceptable one for even less.

If you find something you like, feel free to ask me or the guys here about it before you lay your money down. It doesn't cost you a thing and it may save you some money or at least aggravation of returning it because it turned out being junk.
Good luck,
Gabby

almost forgot, a plastic molded holster made for another gun may not fit properly. I've never tried that out so I don't recommend buying one online without checking it out personally at a gun shop or wherever you can lay hands on one .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts