Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a ruger lcr 9mm, i recently bought a desantis sof tuck and it is working great iwb. however i have some jean pants that are tight on me and a pocket holster won't work so i need a owb holster. i didn't have the money but a friend said they could let me have $25 to get one to do till i can get a better one in a couple months. right now online i have found the fobus ru101 for the lcr and the desantis dual carry ll. has anyone used either for owb holster?, the dual carry can be used iwb or owb but i will be only needing owb from it if i get it. the one thing that puzzles me on the dual carry is it has a thumb break and my lcr has no hammer. i need something with retention with owb, also the ru101 is for the sp101 as well, so will it keep the lcr from moving and making noise? if ya'll know of another holster for owb for around $25 please let me know. thanks

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I carry my LCR owb, but have not used either of these holsters. I was close to trying out the Fobus, but ended up buying a Mitch Rosen instead. I'm still waiting for that holster and will give a review once it is received.
Like many of us, I have a pile of holsters sitting in the drawer from previous "experiments". From experience I can say there is no perfect holster. Each will have pros/cons.
The Fobus looks nice especially for $25 price. For me, however, it seemed a bit bulky for CC.
One thing I highly recommend is to make sure that you can re-holster your weapon effectively. I think this is often overlooked by many. I learned quickly when I made a conscious decision to practice my draw ( both live fire and with snap caps) that my preferred holster (Simply Rugged Silver Dollar) wasn't going to make the cut. The holster wanted to collapse to the point of forcing me to use my off-hand hand to help re-holster the weapon. It seemed like I was constantly muzzling myself to try and re-holster my gun. Not good.
Hopefully the Mitch Rosen is stiffer and will retain its shape better. If this one fails, I can see myself moving toward some sort of Kydex style which I have yet to try and will definitely be more rigid.
Bottom line, I suggest saving your money for a premium leather holster that has a reinforced opening which will retain its shape OR going with a Kydex style with retention screw.
Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts