Ruger Forum banner

OWB Holster - Recommendation

4K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  AugustusMcCrae029 
#1 ·
Hi all, I was wondering if you all can give me some recommendations for OWB holster for my 2 1/4" SP 101.

I'd like one that has the least amount of print.

I'd be wearing a loose tee shirt, so don't need a tuckable holster.

Don't know if this would help, but I'm average (5'9" and 188) body shape (I think!)

Thanks for all your help!

Greg

#3 ·
Don't worry about printing. 99.999999% of the public will never notice anything. And if they do, they will probably assume it is a cell phone case.

First, a good belt is more important than the holster in keeping the holster up against your side and firm for a smooth draw. Get a steel insert belt (Bigfoot is good).

Second, check out Warbird Leather for good looking and high quality leather. Paul is a great guy to work with.

#5 ·
I like the Bullard Bodyguard holster.
The forward cant really helps in concealing the grip.

Reactions: Phish
#10 ·
While I do not have experience with revolvers or their holster I have come to be find that DeSantis holsters are excellent and reasonably priced. The the photo is of my OWB Mini Scabbard holster and 9mm double stack mag carrier. They are both leather. One thing I like about them is that they have adjustable retention. The pistol is a Security 9 Compact and the magazines are 15 rounds. DeSantis makes holsters for revolvers too, and they are with a look.

#11 ·
I'll start with what oldag stated above, the belt is the first consideration. I have retired all of my belts and have 2 mesh and 2 leather KORE Essentials. To me, there is nothing better. I carry a few different guns for different situations: high capacity, high accuracy, high concealability. These belts work with each system seamlessly.

I only carry one revolver, a GP100 MC. It carries in the above mentioned Bullard, but probably because I try to buy Texas first.

#12 ·
For stiffness and sleuth, I don’t think you can do better than Blue Alpha’s EDC belts. I have both the Velcro and Cobra Buckle versions, and I like the Velcro one better.

I use one to carry my BH Convertible 10mm around the farm and doing chores. Doesn’t sag at all. Use to be a big leather belt guy, but BA makes a great product and it’s lighter and cheaper.

Lefty

#14 ·
Kusiak leather IWB holsters , holsters are very nice and so are their demonstrators. I have one, " holster" the old fashion in brown . My favorite IWB holster , we all go through a bunch of holster tries , still haven't found the perfect OWB foe my 38 spl. Snubnose. Have a order in for the Bianchi 58 PI , I'll see how it goes when it comes.
Chris

#15 ·
I agree with the other posters that a good belt is the first step. If you're looking for an off-the-shelf belt, Daltech Force makes some excellent gun belts at reasonable prices:

For the holster itself, my favorite maker is Ryan Grizzle. Surprisingly, he does not make belts, but his holsters are fantastic!

Good luck!

#19 ·
Simply Rugged for me, too. The pancake holsters retain the gun well. My carry needs are different: open carry on the farm or in the woods, but I own two of their pancakes with full flap closures.

Quality work and durable.

I wear them with a Daltec Force steel core. These are Great belts that hold a heavy gun all day long, in comfort. Also wear same with a Simply Rugged pocket holster, for a relatively heavy Kimber K6s. I forget I am carrying it.

#20 ·
Phish
I like the Don Hume LiT Holster for the ease of use , went with a holster that protected the firearm alittle better. Looks like it would cause the firearm to flop some , does it hold tight and close? I'm not carrying large guns 3"1911 and J S&W's
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.