Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been made fun of whenever I mention the P-89 or P-series in general. During this time of scarce ammo , I have been shooting my reloads and even my experimental reloads. I swear the P-89 eats my reloads and my slightly out of spec reloads like it's candy. These pistols are the best thing since sliced bread. I am almost 50 years old and wish I had gotten a case of these pistols when they were new at $279 or so when I was 21. I was watching Star Wars and saw the part when Lando said that the Falcon was the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy. Well the P-89 is the most reliable hunk of junk in the pistol world in my opinion. Just thinking out loud. Enjoy the picture my friends.
Resized_20210208_142153.jpeg

·
Registered
9,167 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,839 Posts
The only issue I had was a pregnant reload that was off spec. Can't blame the pistol for that so no never had an issue. Truthfully I haven't seen too many that did have problems. Sure spring break or get weak after a lot of shooting but some pistols the manufacturer recommends spring changes after a meer 1500 rounds.

·
Exchequer
4,742 Posts
No arguments from me on the P series from Ruger. My P85 eats anything it is fed and asks for more. And my P90 is more accurate than it should be in my hands.

Both are solid, built well, and never give me a whit of trouble.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Did you cerakote the bronze model, that looks sharp. Sort of Texas Longhorns sharp 😎
lol lol ... you like that cerakote job do you ... I had it done by a local gunsmith ... i have gotten a lot of compliments about it ... buttruth be known, I did not have the Texas Longhorns in mind when i had it done ... just sayin' ... :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
365 Posts
lol lol ... you like that cerakote job do you ... I had it done by a local gunsmith ... i have gotten a lot of compliments about it ... buttruth be known, I did not have the Texas Longhorns in mind when i had it done ... just sayin' ... :unsure: :ROFLMAO:
I was hoping you did it in tribute to the Horns since they were the first team to beat the Buckeyes at home for a nationally televised Saturday night game back in 05'. 😀

You could start telling people that, I wouldn't mind.

Reactions: Rangerdeepv

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have either of you experienced a failure from any of the pistols pictured? Just curious.
No. When I was in the Sheriffs office , I saw a P94 and a Sig Sauer both blow up from the same ammo the same day just 1 hour apart. It was in the early 90's when the .40 was new. The ammo was the problem.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
My KP90DC eats everything and asks for seconds. More accurate than it should be at its price point.

I'm lucky in that it was my first pistol and I didn't know much about guns when I got it. I'd hate to buy a first gun and have it present issues for any new shooter.

P guns aren't the pretty fanciest guns but they sure do work. Mine once had to have the magazine spring catch replaced but that's it. Also of note it is a first year production gun.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,840 Posts
No problems with mine either, first one i purchased in 1999. Some say they are ugly, however i have never had that opinion, i always liked how they were made. Ugly is a highpoint, but it works. They are reliable thats what matters to me, on the same list with the Uzi, ak47, and m1 garand. I wouldnt take anything for mine. Have another on layaway right now, to be added to the group soon.

·
Premium Member
14,639 Posts
It would be the only other 'ugly' gun I would get from a Glock.

Reactions: Tacky

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have always been made fun of whenever I mention the P-89 or P-series in general. During this time of scarce ammo , I have been shooting my reloads and even my experimental reloads. I swear the P-89 eats my reloads and my slightly out of spec reloads like it's candy. These pistols are the best thing since sliced bread. I am almost 50 years old and wish I had gotten a case of these pistols when they were new at $279 or so when I was 21. I was watching Star Wars and saw the part when Lando said that the Falcon was the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy. Well the P-89 is the most reliable hunk of junk in the pistol world in my opinion. Just thinking out loud. Enjoy the picture my friends. View attachment 151592
My first pistol was a P85 I think I paid $275. Took me forever to save for it and felt 10 feet tall when I took it home. Shot great and shot it a lot. Wish I still had that gun because of sentimental reasons. P89 and P94 and P345 were all good for me as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think of my P94 as my .40 S&W "Space gun"... thanks to the styling.

It's a good reliable pistol.

Reactions: mrmike7189

·
Registered
88 Posts
My P85 was bought in 1986 as a retirement (USAF) gift for myself.
I am sure it has fired in excess of 65,000 rounds of reloads and has never failed to fire.
Ruger did the MKII modification (something about a firing pin) and for that they sent me another 15 round magazine. I would like adjustable sights but I have adapted. You know, you only adjust the sights once, anyhow, huh?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts