Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my hands on another P89 today that is several years older than the one I'm having trouble with. The problem child was made about '03 while the older was probably made in the early 90's. The recoil spring guide rod in the older one has a teat on its backside to keep it centered on the barrel. The newer one does not have that teat. When I pulled mine down today, the guide rod was far off to one side, even though I had it centered perfectly when I assembled it. I'm stumped.[?]

·
Registered
693 Posts
skipper49, I bet your problem is in that very joint linking the rod to the barrel. Try to swap the guide rod/barrel pair from one pistol to another, run through several cycles, and see what happens. Afraid, you can't fix it easily yourself, and have to look for some local smithy.

On second thought - why don't you call Ruger and ask them to send you a brand new guide rod for FREE? ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Blade. The guide on the older model won't work on the newer one because the barrel link on the older one has a recess that the little "teat" snuggles into.
I mentioned on the pistol forum last night that the ejector on the newer pistol pops back up as soon as you get the slide 2/3 of the way on. The older P-89 as well as my P-95's don't do this, requiring instead that the ejector be pushed back up manually, which I believe is as it should be. Is that any sort of clue as to why my slide keeps "hanging up" ?
Thanks again. Any and all ideas welcome.

·
Registered
693 Posts
quote:Originally posted by skipper49

The guide on the older model won't work on the newer one because the barrel link on the older one has a recess that the little "teat" snuggles into.
That's why I said - try to swap an entire rod-barrel pair altogether. AFAIK the geometry of pistol's frame inner space hasn't changed too much in time. Well, I may be wrong on that. At least, if the pair works with another gun, then your primary suspect is a frame.

I think of the rod as a bad guy mainly because it made out of much softer metal, than a barrel hook and may eventually go off. If you try some metalwork yourself, may end up with two useless pieces. So, I would call Ruger. Don't worry, by your serial# they will find your match to replace at no cost.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I read right over the guide AND barrel swap in your post.I thought of that and feared I'd get into headspace issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts