Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I retired about 10 years ago after three and a half decades as a LEO, and recall being issued a 9mm Ruger P-89 DC for a long while. It was the most ruggedly dependable service handgun I ever used outside of a DAK Sig-Sauer I had just before I left the job.

After retiring I bought a wonderfully accurate Ruger 9mm P-95 DC that I've used as an EDC ever since. Life being what it is, I was recently hospitalized with a broken pelvis and was in an in-patient rehab program for several months. As you can imagine, I lost some hand strength that I'm trying to recover and had a bit of difficulty with the P-95's OEM 11-pound DA trigger.

I read thru the archives here, and purchased the Wolff hammer spring kit that some of you have recommended. Installed the 19-pound spring and it brought the DA trigger pull from 11 down to 8.5 pounds. The SA pull wasn't effected much. It's at 5 pounds now, down from its previous 5.5 on the trigger pull scale.

The trigger breaks crisply just as before, and the firing pin primer dents in the empty casings appear to be every bit as deep as they were before the spring swap. No sensation of grittiness in triggering each shot, so the Wolff spring must be riding smoothly on the P-95's hammer strut.

Anyway, thanks for making the archived info available here. It was a quick and easy fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I used a box of Federal HSTs and a box of Gold Dots and fired rounds from both boxes before and after the hammer swap. That's what I load for EDC. Are there certain 9mm brands that have a reputation for hard primers?

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Thanks. I used a box of Federal HSTs and a box of Gold Dots and fired rounds from both boxes before and after the hammer swap. That's what I load for EDC. Are there certain 9mm brands that have a reputation for hard primers?
CCI is probably the hardest of the American primers. Any of the Russian steel case ammo will also have harder primers (I use Brown Bear and Silver Bear for the pistols that prefer to eat steel).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts