Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, this has probably been discussed before, but I'd like some opinions on using +P and DoubleTap ammo in your P345.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Hard to answere your question. Your owners manual says any commercially loaded ammo made to
US,Sammi etc. specs is ok. However I don't think any +P ammo has any Sammi specs written for it.
Maybe someone else can chime in here and shed some light. However the manual for your gun does not say"don't use +p ammo."In my opinion the gun ought to be strong to shoot +P. I used to shoot
+p in my P90 with no problems.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't think you need to be concerned about using any commercially available ammo in ANY Ruger. They are built to last. The P90 was originally designed to handle 10mm auto, which is MUCH hotter than .45 +P. The P97 and P345 are only marginally less tank-like.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been using Win Ranger-T SXT +P, it is accurate as anything I've tried and recoil is not a problem!

·
Registered
842 Posts
I doubt +P loads would hurt the gun but personally I've never used +P loads for anything except in .38 Sp defence loads or maybe some .45 Colt hunting loads. I know a few people that use +Ps in both .45ACP and 9MM for carry loads and won't use anything else.
Baker

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using the Win Ranger-T SXT +P load for self defense and in the field. They shoot great, and recoil is still quite comfortable. I have installed a stronger Wolff recoil spring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
quote:Originally posted by obxned

I'm using the Win Ranger-T SXT +P load for self defense and in the field. They shoot great, and recoil is still quite comfortable. I have installed a stronger Wolff recoil spring.
Did you install the heavier spring on a 345? If so, what spring did you use, how was installation, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wolff sells 3 recoil springs for the P345. I don't remember what the pound rarings are, but the lightest they sell is the same strength as original. I got the next stronger spring, and am thinking of going to the heaviest. All you got to do is repalce the original spring with the new one.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Brownells.com once you get the home page left side of page will have gun parts left click on handgun parts scroll down to spring kits left click on Ruger P Seire and you will find spring kits. If you don't find anything there then try Mid-Way. both companies are super to deal with have great customer support also.

·
Registered
43 Posts
FInally got a reply from Wolff.

"Thank you for writing. We are looking at making springs for the Ruger 345, however the recoil system in that pistol requires more R&D than a simple spring and will take more time to develop."

John Andrews
Wolff Gunsprings

Looks like I'll be waiting awhile.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts