Ruger Forum banner

Do you have knowledge of P series failures of

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do a little informal survey on the durability of Ruger P series pistols.
So the question is:
Have you ever personally witness or seen the results of any breakage or failures in P series (85, 89, 90, 93, 94, 95, 97) or can you post links to stories of such incidents , now I realize that each model may have had some hiccups when first introduced , I'm mainly concerned with actual frame , slide or barrel cracks or something of equal severity but any breakage reports are welcome.
I love the P series, the 89 is one of my all time favorite shooters and I wish I had the $$ to put each model to longevity torture test but what I do have is a computer and a little time so here goes1

·
Registered
112 Posts
I used to own a P90 and can say that I never had a single issue with it. I wanted an SR9 really bad, so I sold the P to a buddy. At the time of sale, I had put a minimum of 5,000 round through it target shooting without a failure of any kind. I know that my friend has fired about 3,000 more with no problems. I say, if you want one, buy one. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
your missing a question----no problems.

I've had quite a few rounds thru my p90 and have had no problems.

I'm also aquainted with other shooters who own the "p" series for years and have had zero problems. Even a regional private prison that issues the p89 and has had them for over 10 years have not had any problems that i am aware of.

The old p85 was recalled to be updated to the p85 mkII but that was a design issue back in the 80's.

The "p" series is a well documented proven design. My daughter will get lots of use out of it long after i am gone.....

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I have 2-97's, a P90, Wife has a P345, Son has a P95, and any of them hasn't had any kind of problems. That why I wouldn't replace them with anything else. I might try something different sometime though. Thanks for changing the Poll so I can Vote. :D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
:Dnow i can vote!!!!;)

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I have a P89 and P90. The P89 has had thousands of rounds shot through it. The P90 has had about a thousand. No problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
30 Posts
NO ONE that I personally know that owns a P-series pistol has
had any failures of any kind, which was a HUGE selling point
behind my decision to buy my P95DC. That, and the price:)

Shot my pistola in Kentucky this weekend when we went up
to visit Son #2 at Fort Campbell; no problems up there, either.

BTW, my new Mec-Gar mags performed flawlessly; thanks for
the tip on aftermarket mags, guys!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I had to have the sear replaced on a P944, which Mike Smisko effected most expeditiously (and effectively!). I also had a trigger return spring break on a used Security Six that I have-ironically, it broke literally 10 minutes after I got it back from Ruger, after they'd thoroughly gone through it for me. They were mortified-immediately arrainged its return via pre-paid shipping; they repaired it, again thoroughly went through it, and it has performed immaculately to date. These are exceptionally well made guns, but occassionally "stuff" does, and will happen-as it will with anything made by man.

That said, I've also had a P85, my current P89, a Davidson's P89, a P90 Police Special, my current GP100 (and two previous GP100's), a SP101, a M77RSI, and a Mini-14; all of which were absolutely flawless in their performance.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I gave my wife a P89D that has fired a few thousand (most in rapid fire) that has never had a problem of any kind.

I've read stories in gun mags and online of the safety guns losing a safety lever...and of course all the P345 mag safety dry fire issues (technically not an issue if the pistol is used properly). Never heard of a major failure, and I've never personally seen a failure of any kind on a P series pistol of any kind.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
If I had a complain it would be that they are very bulky that aside they are built better than a tank and will feed and shoot anything. And went your triger finger gets tired ya can beat the heck out of the bad guys.

·
Super Moderator
22,046 Posts
P94 in 40 S&W had it for 13 years without any problems.

tkarter: I'm starting to feel the same way.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I want to do a little informal survey on the durability of Ruger P series pistols.
So the question is:
Have you ever personally witness or seen the results of any breakage or failures in P series (85, 89, 90, 93, 94, 95, 97) or can you post links to stories of such incidents , now I realize that each model may have had some hiccups when first introduced , I'm mainly concerned with actual frame , slide or barrel cracks or something of equal severity but any breakage reports are welcome.
I love the P series, the 89 is one of my all time favorite shooters and I wish I had the $$ to put each model to longevity torture test but what I do have is a computer and a little time so here goes1
Over many years I have read about 1 or 2 P frame failures on guns used at rental ranges ......guns with extremely high round count.....I'm pretty sure one was a P89 that cracked on the left side where the hole is for the trigger return actuating plunger. I make urethane buffers for my Ps...the interior frame shape and dimensions are most accomodative.....not really needed but I make them because I enjoy it and am a perfectionist. The P series frames are about as bulletproof as a frame can be......look at the enormous frame thickness where the recoiling slide makes frame contact.......P frames are made out of A 356 aluminum.....the same metal high performance, aftermarket engine blocks are made of........a strong and durable material.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had to have the sear replaced on a P944, which Mike Smisko effected most expeditiously (and effectively!). I also had a trigger return spring break on a used Security Six that I have-ironically, it broke literally 10 minutes after I got it back from Ruger, after they'd thoroughly gone through it for me. They were mortified-immediately arrainged its return via pre-paid shipping; they repaired it, again thoroughly went through it, and it has performed immaculately to date. These are exceptionally well made guns, but occassionally "stuff" does, and will happen-as it will with anything made by man.

That said, I've also had a P85, my current P89, a Davidson's P89, a P90 Police Special, my current GP100 (and two previous GP100's), a SP101, a M77RSI, and a Mini-14; all of which were absolutely flawless in their performance.

Best, Jon
Jon........question for you.......were the P90 police specials blue guns with a 4 inch barrel? Somewhere I remember seeing a blued P90 with the 4 inch tube...could it have been a cropped picture to fake people out.....I never heard/read about 4 inch barreled P 90s.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I carry my KP89DC around the farm & for other rugged outdoor activities. If I have ever negelted a firearm, this is it. I clean it often, I have to. It has been under water several times. It has been caked in mud & subjected to dust, dirt & grease.It has never failed to fire. I guess it has about 12,000 rounds through it by now. I quit counting at 10,000. If I could only keep one gun, (GOD forbid) this is the one! ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts