Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got asked a question and heck if i know.
Can a p-94 (or any p-series pistol for that matter) be converted to dao by a smith?
Main reason is to get a dao and keep the hammer spur on the hammer for gun/holster retention instead of the factory bobbed hammer type conversion.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Iowegan will know that one-it'd sure be handy, easy, and good for shoulder holsters and other snap-downs.....a perp'd have hell trying to cock it, wouldn't he!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
It would be very difficult if not impossible. You would have to get a complete new slide ass'y, then have the smith modify it and then you would have to change the internals, hammer, sear, etc. The hammer would be the most difficult because the hammer/sear interface is a completely different design. I doubt the standard hammer could be modified to work.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I haven't had that much bad news at once since Sally told me no and I was ugly!!!!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Afraid of that, was hoping it would be similar operation to converting a revolver to dao.
Guess it is like they say---apples and oranges.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I forgot to thank you, Coffee Pot...and did they ever make a KP90 in DAO? I liked my KP97DAO a lot...how about a KP95DAO???

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sheepdog
I a long time back did get to handle a p95 dao that a feller had. Seems like he told me that when the Olympics were in Salt Lake City, this p95 dao as well as a bunch of other brands of DAO pistols were bought by the govt and issued to security for the olympics.
Remember that the dao stroke was short and sweet on that one!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't recall either the P90 or the P95 in DAO, but that doesn't mean they didn't make a few of each. It just means my memory may be faulty. Chet15 on the other forum could tell you for sure. DAOs were fairly popular with LE, but that's about it. The quantities of DAOs made in any of the 'P' series were small and they sat on the shelf a long time. They were finally dropped from the line about a year and a half or so as I remember and remaing stock sold off to the distributors at discount prices.

You'd be better off finding a DAO and adding a hammer spur. But you would have to do it mechanically as welding would screw up the heat treat and metallurgy unless you could find a way to keep the hammer notch area cold while adding the spur.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,405 Posts
deputy125, It probably could be done but it certainly wouldn't be easy or cheap. No doubt you friend wants a DAO for a reason but revolver would be his best bet. You can convert a GP-100 to DAO and maintain the hammer spur by just grinding off the SA sear notch in the hammer. A new hammer and you're restored to SA/DA.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Appreciate the replies--it is apples and oranges comparing dao conversions of autos to revolvers. Best bet would be just have him keep the 94 as a spare and go find a dao pistol and appropriate leather.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Iowegan, do you gain any smoothness in the double action stroke doing that to the sear notch? I shoot mostly DA anyways and would not miss SA capability---

·
16,405 Posts
sheepdog, When the trigger is being pulled in DA mode, the hammer will release just before the SA notch reaches contact. So because the SA notch is never touched in DA, it makes absolutely no difference in DA pull. Smoothing the internal parts and changing springs does wonders for a GP-100 or SP-101. I'll send you my IBOK for GP-100s if you will send me an email.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks but I don't have either...I was askin' 'bout a S&W M649 and M65 3"...same rules apply, I guess...I want an SP 3"-like the weight of it...if I find one, I'll come a-howlin'...

·
16,405 Posts
sheepdog, Yes, any revolver that uses a hammer dog (Ruger) or a DA sear (S&W) will do the same thing. The hammer dog or DA sear releases the hammer before the SA sear touches it, thus no difference in trigger feel.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have both a P95 and a P93 DAO.

The P95DAO I bought used from J&G Sales (www.JGSales.com) about a year ago, and they still had them listed until about six weeks ago. They are not listed now, but you might check to see if they still have any left.

The P93DAO I found NIB at one of my local dealers.

The trigger pull on the P95 is smooth and light--easily the equal of the DA trigger action of any out-of-the box revolver I can remember, and far better than most.

The P93DAO is serviceable as is, but is begging for a bit of smoothing and 'slicking.

Don't ask, they are not for sale--unless someone wants to swap a P97DAO for the P93DAO...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts