Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a thread on here earlier today about the "decocker only" version of the P345 having recently been discontinued by Ruger. Since I just bought a P345 that provides the ability to decock, I'm not clear on just what exactly the term "decocker only" means. Please feel free to banish my ignorance in the matter. [:p]

Amistad
'learning as I go!'

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If when you lower the lever to decock-it stays down, you have what's called a "safety" model-the decock lever functions as a safety and will remain down, disconnecting the trigger, until you push it back up...if, when you lower the lever to decock, it, being spring-loaded, returns to the upper position, readying the pistol for a double-action shot, you have what's known as a "D", "DC", "decocker", or "decocker only" model...all ways of saying the same thing. I happen to love the decockers...don't like fiddling with a safety, and prefer to shoot double action anyways...they are, in my opinion, the epitome of pistol actions in a single/double action pistol...unfortunately, Ruger doesn't care what we think...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ruger says it was discontinued due to lack luster sales figures. I speculate the real reason is more of a preemptive move aimed at diffusing possible speculation regarding liability. In other words, we are seeing some arms makers add every conceivable safety device to their new offerings and, in this case, discontinuing anything which has "less" in the eyes of lawyers seeking to capitalize on the frivilous suits brought forth by the antis.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

If when you lower the lever to decock-it stays down, you have what's called a "safety" model-the decock lever functions as a safety and will remain down, disconnecting the trigger, until you push it back up...
Many thanks for the reply. I see from this that I have the "safety" model. Actually, I'm glad that this is the case. My wife will be less afraid of it when she gets to go with me to the range.

Amistad
'learning more and grateful for it!'

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm starting to believe that the "sales" are driven by the large chain stores which place large orders which are then sold through outlets in several states. They buy the models which meet the restrictions in their most gun-hostile markets to simplify their inventory and distribution.

Here in Florida, where gun laws are gradually becoming ever more "user friendly", there are no state restrictions on firearms designs. Even so, stores such as Sports Academy only carried the "safety" models.

I've purchased every DAO P-series Ruger that I've been able to find, and I just bought the last NIB KP345DPR in Pensacola. The retailer told me that it was the last one his primary distributer had.

Maybe Ruger should periodically produce some of the "discontinued" DAO/D models and sell them on a premium-priced special-order basis...they won't do it, but one can always dream...

In the meantime, we should probably avoid the big chain stores and give our business to the small local retailer who will stock the models WE want to buy!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Afraid you are right OldNavy,
Seems that the majority of all gun sales are thru the "marts", or Chainstores like academy and so-forth.

The little guys is where the market is for variation and choices as they can't compete with the marts in price so they carry something different----and the little guys are rapidly disappearing.

Some companies are building almost strictly for the marts. If wal-mart folded, NEF, Mossberg, and Marlin probably would not be far behind.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by deputy125
----and the little guys are rapidly disappearing.
I was saddened yesterday. A month or so ago, I discovered this small gun shop that is only a couple of miles from us. I had been there twice (the second time with my wife accompanying me), and the owner was a very friendly, very helpful individual. I've driven by the shop three or four times since then at times when one would expect the shop to be open, but it was closed. Yesterday, there was a sign out front that said the shop has now been closed... You said it well in your quote at the top of this reply...

Amistad
'pulling for the little guy!'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts