Ruger Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I owned one of the early KP345PR pistols (safety model) which I purchased NIB.

The good:
1.Never had a failure to feed & fire with over 1,000 rounds fired.*
2.Very comfortable in the hand (size 12 1/2 glove).
3.Good factory sights.
4.Very shootable (practical accuracy?). I enjoyed plinking at soda cans set up 25 to 50 yards away. Even when I missed, I always came close enough to scare 'em.

The bad:
1.It was a "safety" rather than "decocker" model. IMHO, the safety design is bad for several reasons:

--No way to carry "cocked and locked". Only a politician or lawyer could want a safety which can be “on” only when the pistol is uncocked!

--*The "safety" lever required very little downward movement in order to disable the pistol, and the almost non-existent detent would allow the safety the be activated unintentionally--this happened with my pistol on at least two occasions. This condition caused me to return the pistol to the factory for repair before I ever fired it. Even though they replaced several parts, this attribute was unchanged.

2.The firing pin damage caused by "improper" dry-firing is hidden inside the slide. The only way that you can determine whether or not you have a approaching “click-no-bang event” is:

--When it occurs (want to bet your life that it will work this time?)

--By removal of the rear sight and inspecting the condition of the firing pin. Do you want to do this after each trip to the range?

3. It has a key lock built in. Is the pistol simply on "safe" or is it locked? Unless you attempt to move the "safety" lever to the "fire" position, you can't tell. Again, IMHO, locking mechanisms must be implemented so that their state (locked vs. unlocked) can be determined with a quick glance. This is another feature that, as designed, only a politician or lawyer could love.

Summary:
The P345 was a pistol that I tried very hard to like. In the end, I sold it and bought a new P90D. Would I own another P345? Conditionally, yes:

--It would have to be a decocker unless Ruger adds a DAO model.
--The magazine safety would have to be removed.
--The key-lock would have to be removed else the key hole would have to be plugged.

As usual, my opinions and viewpoints are perfect, in every detail, for me. They may not be suitable for anyone else.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
+1 oldnavy
I also prefer the decock in the p90 series. Had received a nation wide teletype years ago about the p90 with safety. Don't remember the specifics, but there was a warning that the safety could be inadvertently engaged by the thumb strap on a certain model holster when drawing the weapon. Can't remember the specifics on holster (safariland 070ssIII?), but do remember reading it to the troops during morning breifing off the teletype board and the reporting agency was from Missouri i think. This the main reason i went decocker.
More info was obtained in the "oops i cleaned my 345" post string.
No more questions about the 345 from me until ruger makes some changes for the better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Deputy, I guess you won't buy a new P345D, because they have been discontinued. The P345D I purchased will probably be my last Ruger purchase unless they continue the Decocker in other models.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sad times it seems that more models are discontinued and fewer models are introduced. Have read elsewhere of the gradual demise of decockers. Times change and not always for the better

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just bought a P345 last week after initially not really considering one. I didn't like those new features (disconnect, lock, indicator). However, the gun felt so good I decided to give it a try with the caveat it be a decocker version. I asked my dealer to order it and he said he could only find the safety version. I went ahead a picked it up anyway. Now, only a week or so later, I am trading it back to him. I have decided, in hindsight, there are too many questions regarding it's reliability. Plus, it isn't the decocker I wanted in the first place. I think I'll get another decocker P95 in blue to go along with the stainless version I now have. They look cool and are the ultimate in reliability.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I settled for the P345PR... I would have loved to have the decocker, but the safety model was in the right place, at the right time, for the right price... Who knows, I may find one yet...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got a KP345PR. After all the research I've done, it looks like the most .45 I can get for my purposes, for the money. I bought it for plinking, target, home defense, and concealed carry/personal defense.

I'm cleaning the sight, and I'm replacing the factory trigger spring with a 19-pound Wolff spring. (Thanks to Mr. Nettles for both!)

It does seem to me that the strong double-action trigger pull makes the P345 as safe as any double action revolver. People carry those without a safe all the time, so Ruger could skip the safety altogether. Better yet, they could give us the option to cock-and-lock.

Despite that, it seems a very fine gun. I appreciate that there is such a gun in that price range that has accuracy and reliability.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did the "cleaning the rear sight" and have not had one problem,it's also nice to have an empty mag fall completely free when the release is pushed,which didn't happen before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I must be missing something because there's something I just don't understand...if the P345 is designed with a magazine disconnect so the gun can't be fired without a mag in it, how can the gun be dry fired without a mag?

·
Registered
269 Posts
That was/is the problem. The mag disconnect keeps the firing pin from coming all the way forward if there is no magazine in the gun. Do this enough times and you could damage the gun in such a way that it will not fire even with a magazine in place. I'm not sure what that magic number is and it probably varies from gun to gun.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts