Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Ruger p345 several years ago as my main concealed carry weapon.

My kids have gotten to an age now where they want to go to the range with me. However the recoil on this pistol is scaring my daughter. Is there a muzzle break available fit this model of pistol?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
2 suggestions. If you reload. Down load some ammo for it. A muzzle brake isn't going to do much for pistol. Or get a 22 pistol. The mark series are nice guns.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
My kids have gotten to an age now where they want to go to the range with me.
However the recoil on this pistol is scaring my daughter. Is there a muzzle break available fit this model of pistol?
AdamViolet...welcome aboard sir! Hope you enjoy your time here!
As suggested, maybe build some 'lighter' loads for your daughter to shoot?
Helping one's experience be positive, is a great way to encourage a young shooter to develop their skills.
When my kids were little, I picked up an older Ruger SP101 in .22lr for them to learn to shoot with...
My wife still loves and shoots it whenever we go to the range!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts

My kids have gotten to an age now where they want to go to the range with me. However the recoil on this pistol is scaring my daughter. Is there a muzzle break available fit this model of pistol?
Hi Adam, and welcome to the forum !
The P345 is the most "pleasant" shooting .45 I've ever used, but any .45 ACP is not a gun for novices.
Muzzle brakes (not muzzle breaks) do help some with high intensity, high pressure cartridges like the .40 S&W, .38 Super, etc.
The big, slow, .45 ACP runs at half of the pressure of those others, and I doubt, it would help a bit.
A brake would make your P345 more "blasty" (noisy), longer and more cumbersome, more difficult to conceal when you belt carry it, and more difficult to find a holster for ( unless you just didn't mind the couple inches of brake sticking out the end of the holster you have ).

To be able to use a brake, you'd have to find an aftermarket barrel that protrudes past the slide enough to thread the end, and I'm not aware of any makers like Apex or Storm Lake that make a longer barrel for the P345.
The P345 is an accurate and mild recoil .45, leave it as is.
As the other guys said above, get a .22, or if they want some recoil, a .38 Special with light target loads.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Hi Adam, and welcome to the forum !
The P345 is the most "pleasant" shooting .45 I've ever used, but any .45 ACP is not a gun for novices.
Muzzle brakes (not muzzle breaks) do help some with high intensity, high pressure cartridges like the .40 S&W, .38 Super, etc.
The big, slow, .45 ACP runs at half of the pressure of those others, and I doubt, it would help a bit.
A brake would make your P345 more "blasty" (noisy), longer and more cumbersome, more difficult to conceal when you belt carry it, and more difficult to find a holster for ( unless you just didn't mind the couple inches of brake sticking out the end of the holster you have ).

To be able to use a brake, you'd have to find an aftermarket barrel that protrudes past the slide enough to thread the end, and I'm not aware of any makers like Apex or Storm Lake that make a longer barrel for the P345.
The P345 is an accurate and mild recoil .45, leave it as is.
As the other guys said above, get a .22, or if they want some recoil, a .38 Special with light target loads.
thanks for bring that information to the conversation ... i thought maybe i was not understanding something, but I can honestly say i've never seen a muzzle brake on a stock SEMI AUTO pistol ...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Some kids NEVER recover from being handed big guns to learn on .
Treat em right and start them on something comfortable . They will step up when they are ready and will still like the sport.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The "muzzle brake for P Series pistols" question.
No one has found any aftermarket extended barrels for any of the P Series pistols. Seems too much of a risk for a brand and model that the aftermarket worked so hard to ignore while the pistols were in production, and it has not gotten any more enticing now that they have been out of production for so many years.
There are companies attaching custom extensions to barrels for hundreds of dollars. No word on quality/durability.
There are companies that make barrel blanks to be machined down to match original size. They could easily be machined longer to provide for attaching a brake. This is probably the right way to do it, and would be obscenely expensive.

One possibility for the P95 (later production), P97, and P345, because they have picatinny rails:
A brake can be made to attach to the frame, instead of the barrel. They clamp to the picatinny rail.
I doubt if anyone ever made one for a P Series pistol, but it would be possible to make or have made by a machinist.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I concur with the idea of starting ANY new shooter on .22LR. Besides, they are a blast to shoot for experienced shooters as well
AdamViolet...welcome aboard sir! Hope you enjoy your time here!
As suggested, maybe build some 'lighter' loads for your daughter to shoot?
Helping one's experience be positive, is a great way to encourage a young shooter to develop their skills.
When my kids were little, I picked up an older Ruger SP101 in .22lr for them to learn to shoot with...
My wife still loves and shoots it whenever we go to the range!
Thanks for responding. Started them on a 22 and then went to a 9 mm but they're determined to shoot their 45.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some kids NEVER recover from being handed big guns to learn on .
Treat em right and start them on something comfortable . They will step up when they are ready and will still like the sport.
I learned that when I started shooting. My dad just handed me his 357 told me to go to town. Started them on a 22 and moved up to a 9mm. They are just determined to shoot all my guns.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I learned that when I started shooting. My dad just handed me his 357 told me to go to town. Started them on a 22 and moved up to a 9mm. They are just determined to shoot all my guns.
My kids started with .22's when they were five (5) and went from there.
My daughter absolutely loves an older steel-framed Taurus 85 in .38 special.
My oldest son loves my wife's Beretta 92FS 9mm...and the .22lr conversion kit...he'll shoot that pistol all day long!
My youngest, age 12, shot my Ruger Commander 1911 last fall for the first time...said it 'hurt' when he shot it,
but we adjusted his grip and he sucked it up, finishing the 8 round magazine...and now he knows he can shoot it.
My youngest also likes my 3" GP100, shooting mostly .38's through it...but he actually enjoys shooting revolvers, like his dad!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
This S&W 325PD in .45 ACP weighs half of what a steel frame 1911 weighs, as it's a Scandium frame with a Titanium cylinder.
Even with low velocity hardball has some kick. But my daughter loves shooting it. My Kimber 1911 not so much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts