Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be purchasing my first handgun soon and have it narrowed down to the Ruger P345 and the Springfield XD 45 compact. I am really having a hard time deciding between the two.
After reading about the problems with the P345 I wrote it off, but have since learned that many of the problems have been fixed. Is this true? I think I would really prefer the feel of the single stack magazine. Does anyone have a picture of the two side by side to show the relative size. Is the P345 as accurate/reliable as the XD?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have no experience with either as i am a fan of the p90.
like you, i have read about issues with the early 345's but also have heard of improvments so i will let 345 owners chime in. Are you planning on concealed carry or does the single stack just fit you better?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gun will be used mostly for home defense. I will be getting my concealed carry license so I may carry it occasionally. I wouldn't say that I have small hands, but they certainly aren't huge. My dad has a Smith and Wesson single stack 10mm and used to have a P90 but sold it several years ago. I fired the P90 several times but don't remember how it felt, but I didn't have any issues with it. The 10mm fits my hands excellently, so I would imagine a double stack would be bigger, and less comfortable.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Well, we tend to be a bit ruger head strong here of course, but we tend to like all guns as you have probably already found out.

My best advice is to get to a range and borrow or rent the guns and try them out if possible. From here it comes down to personal likes, features, and so forth and of course what you are confident with.

Which brings me back to the good ole' p90. A longer track record there than the 345 or the xd45 and a gun i have confidence with. But a tad large for concealed carry..........

What ever you choose, glad you are here and welcome!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
by the way, if you really liked that smith 10mm, there are some good deals to be found on the smith 45's such as the 4506 (carbon copy of the 10 mm smith) and the 457 (light-weight compact). Both single stack 45's with a few more similar models available that are in the middle of those two. Lots of them on the used market.

That may be a good option to look at as well.......

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
My best advice is to get to a range and borrow or rent the guns and try them out if possible. From here it comes down to personal likes, features, and so forth and of course what you are confident with.
Great advice. This is by far the best way to figure out if a gun is good for you or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
by the way, if you really liked that smith 10mm, there are some good deals to be found on the smith 45's such as the 4506 (carbon copy of the 10 mm smith) and the 457 (light-weight compact). Both single stack 45's with a few more similar models available that are in the middle of those two. Lots of them on the used market.

That may be a good option to look at as well.......
I definitely thought about that, but I would really rather have a new gun. It will be my 21st birthday present to myself. I know that used guns can be just as good, its just a thing I have I guess. Plus I know that someday my dad's 1006 will become my 1006.

I am really leaning more towards the Ruger. I really like the idea of having a manual safety. I also looked at the PX4 series from Beretta since they have a little higher capacity and a manual safety. However, I strongly dislike the design of the feed ramp as it is party made of plastic and the warranty doesn't match up to Springfield or Ruger.

There are way too many guns that I would love to have. I can see how this can get addictive quickly.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I own two P345's. One I bought new and one used. Aside from the no dryfire without empty magazine inserted, there are no problems. I don't dryfire my guns that much anyway so it's really never bothered me.

Both of mine are extremely accurate, near my P90's performance but not quite. Close enough though that the recipient of the 230gr. TAP's won't know the difference :D. They conceal well and my non-railed model is my EDC in either a Bianchi minimalist or black widow OWB or in a Desantis Tuck-it IWB. My railed model is now the bedside gun with a Streamlight TLR-1 installed.

From my first range outing with my KP345PR (the railed model):

Out of the box it was shooting slightly left

7yds two hand unsupported:

25yds two hand unsupported:

Shifted the sights a little and it was right on:

7yds two hand unsupported:

25yds two hand unsupported:

Again, this was the first time I ever picked up this pistol and fired it. Groups have gotten better since then :D.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I am partial to the P90. I have a couple of P97's that are excellent guns, but the P90 is my #1 Pistol. Excellent advice has been given to try several and decide your personal preference. :)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
rantin'*******

that 345 looks like a keeper. good shootin' for the 1st time out of the box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have actually all but decided to go with the XD. I just like the higher capacity and would actually rather just have the passive safeties. I will just have to get used to it a little before I start carrying it. Thank you to everyone who replied. Happy shooting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I own a few 45's

SW 4506 no dash
SA XD service
SA 1911 early military copy
Para Ord Companion
Hi Point 45

My wife owns a Para Tac Four.

The only one that I would completely trust my life to is the 4506. I got it used as a LE trade from the Tulsa Co Ok sheriffs dept. Heavy as heck, built like a tank and been 100% reliable with EVERYTHING I have put in it. It will feed an empty case from the mag with no issues. None of my others will do that. SA XD does not like SWC at all, ball ammo only. SA 1911 has been with me for about 25 years, currently in pieces, as I am modding it to fit my tastes. Para Companion has been a great little 45, love the LDA trigger. Bought the Hi Point as a "beater/how much abuse will this thing take", just to see if they are as bad as most internet gurus say they are. It has about 400 rds thru it with no problems, no lube or cleaning. All have been factory ball or lead ball reloads, never tried SWC's thru it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went with the xd!!! I am a ruger fan but when somrthing works i go withit.The 5" I got did exactly like said terrible trigger at firts then when lossened up and i got used to it the gun is actually phenomenal!!!As accurate as or better than all the other autos i have or had. Mine will even eat 200gr swc's which isn't the norm.found slightly long seating bullet cures that problem.Thought i would never own a polymer gun but I won't regret this purchase. This one is in the never trade pile.My son shot it very well half pissing me off as i have about 500 rds thru herand he has about 2 clips done.Mine seems perfectly regulated for 200grs at 950fps. This gun is no mkII but close for shooting out of the box!!!You will love yours after some practice.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I still don't think you keep your toes that close!
:D. Everytime I post a target pick I get toes comments. :D.

When I go to the indoor range and use sillouette targets I roll them up and stick them through the handles on my range bag. When I go to pull them out to take photos (pictures are easier to keep than big targets) I have to stand on them to take the picture otherwise they try to roll back up.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I also have an XD .45 ACP Tactical (No GAP for me :D) and it's served me well ever since I've had it. That being said, I think you'd be equally as well served by either one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Adjusting P-345 sights

How do you do that?

I just got mine, and did not see anywhere to adjust them. I thought they were fixed? Though if I recall, the rear is supposed to have a windage adjustment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts