Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my older son to the range yesterday and have him try my new P345. He wasn't too impressed. On the first round fired, it jammed. The fired round ejected and the new round fed, but the slided was about 1 to 2/10th's of an inch from being full forward. I was unable to move the slide and the gunsmith at the range had to put the gun in a gun vice and force the slide open. This happened twice in about 12 rounds. The two problem rounds looked fined, and I was able to feed them individually into the chamber and fire both</u>. This happened to me once before (it was a cast bullet load). On all three occasions these were my reloads (I've been reloading for 22 years). I was very careful to check OAL when I was reloading. I have no real clue what is wrong. My guess is it is some kind of feeding problem.

Has anybody else had a problem similar to this?

·
Registered
155 Posts
mwl1955, Did you try another magazine? It definitely sounds like the slide is "dragging" on something it shouldn't be dragging on. Does the slide move freely without a magazine installed? Did you feed those two rounds individually from a magazine or drop them in the chamber? Does the magazine "catch" drop the magazine freely? Check the Camblock/Recoil-Buffer Spring assembly for proper alignment and "free" slide movement. This should get you started in the right direction looking for the source of the problem................Dick

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Did you check function with factory ammo instead of reloads?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had one or two factory loads do this as well. The slide will close almost all the way, enough to were you can actually cock the hammer and pull the trigger, but no bang. The first time this happened I though I had broken a firing pin.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
another thing that comes to mind. is the recoil spring in backwards? Large end of spring towards muzzle. Easy to swap around during disassembly.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've got about 500 rounds of factory ammo (mostly Magtech but also Remington and Federal, FMJ and JHP) and I haven't had any failures during that time and I've had the recoil spring in both ways without it seeming to matter to the gun. I'm not a gunsmith but looking at the spring assembly, I'm not sure how having it turned around would cause the problems with the gun not going fully into battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts