Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there higher capacity mags for this gun. I looked at a used one and am thinking about getting it, but 8 shots sucks. I'd rather have a .45 than a 9mm or I'd get the SR9.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
8 shots of .45 in a gun that size is actually very good. My P90 only holds 8 and it is a whole lot bigger gun!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So then there isn't one? The thing I like about the 9's are the mag capacity. I'd really like a .40 or .45 with about 15 shots. That would make my day.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,684 Posts
I believe there are some 10 round after market mags for Ruger 45s (all P-gun 45s take the same magazines). Problem is, the magazine well isn't wide enough to stagger ammo so you're stuck with a single stack. Each cartridge takes almost 1/2" of space plus a little for the magazine follower and spring. That means any magazine that holds more than 8 rounds is going to stick out about 1/2" per round. No big deal at the range but it would really suck for a CCW.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A non-Ruger option for you may be the FNP .45. It may be avialable now. I have seen a few on gunbroker. 14+1 capacity. I'm considering it but want to see if if feels good in my not so large hands before letting it into the family.

·
Super Moderator
21,691 Posts
Be careful of the used P345's. The early ones don't have a good track record. I have heard good and quite a bit of bad as well. Re some of the earlier posts.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
There are 10 and 15 round aftermarkets for Ruger Pseries .45's. They are overpriced and underperform however. I just gave two 10 rounders away to someone. I got tired of trying to get them to work well in my guns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are there higher capacity mags for this gun. I looked at a used one and am thinking about getting it, but 8 shots sucks. I'd rather have a .45 than a 9mm or I'd get the SR9.
You could go with a XD 45 Compact. it comes with a 10 round and a 13 round mag. However, most gun fights are settled by who gets hit first and in the first few rounds, but then I have always liked belt fed too. Fun factor I guess.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could go with a XD 45 Compact. it comes with a 10 round and a 13 round mag. However, most gun fights are settled by who gets hit first and in the first few rounds, but then I have always liked belt fed too. Fun factor I guess.
XD-45 Tactical. Two 13 round mags. :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
For many years the number of shots fired in a one-on-one encounter averaged 2.5 rounds. That's counting all rounds fired by both combatants--not rounds each.

With today's increasingly crowded streets and neighborhoods, "spray and pray" defensive shooting is unacceptable. No matter how you are threatened, if your defensive gunfire hurts a non-participant (a.k.a. innocent bystander), YOU are the bad guy. Your defensive gunfire must be on target.

Since I am to old to pursue and too fat to run away, I expect that the issue will be resolved by the time I expend eight rounds.

Your mileage may differ...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't carry it. It's to big. If I did want a carry, 8 rounds is more than enough. I carry an SP101 and that's only 6 rounds.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you can't get it done with 8+1 then you need a rifle! If you must have more then 8- Promag makes a 10 rnd mag- I have two and they are totally reliable as I used them in my P90 when I had it now they are used in the P345 with the same reliablity!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts