Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used P345 Decocker model, and have a question about the safety on it. I have dry-fired the gun a few times (with the magazine in) and I like the way it feels. However.. with the safety down (on), if I pull the trigger a few times, the hammer will go all the way back and spring forward (as if firing the pistol), instead of just going back a little ways and then released when the trigger is released. This kind of scares me, as I do not want the gun to fire with the safety on. Is this normal, or is it something that I need to have checked out? If anyone can check to see if theirs does this, I'd appreciate it. Just be sure that there's nothing in the chamber.. Sometimes it takes 10 pulls, sometimes it's on the first pull.

Thanks in advance, and yes, I will head over to the new members section tomorrow when I have more time. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't know if it is normal ? I tried it on ours and it doesn't do it, but even if it does I don't think it can fire any way ? It uses a roller block safety, it rolls a ahalf moon under and gives you a full round piece to block the hammer from contacting the fire pin. This is solid stainless that blocks the hammer from the pin. Also, I wouldn't dry fire it with out a Snap Cap in it as it may damage the firing pin ? If it makes you uneasy call Ruger and see what they say ?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Have you shot it yet?

Lots of funny things happen over easy sliding the action.

Yes, call Ruger if you think the saftey is not right.

tk

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
quote:Originally posted by RopeS

I just purchased a used P345 Decocker model, and have a question about the safety on it. I have dry-fired the gun a few times (with the magazine in) and I like the way it feels. However.. with the safety down (on), if I pull the trigger a few times, the hammer will go all the way back and spring forward (as if firing the pistol), instead of just going back a little ways and then released when the trigger is released. This kind of scares me, as I do not want the gun to fire with the safety on. Is this normal, or is it something that I need to have checked out? If anyone can check to see if theirs does this, I'd appreciate it. Just be sure that there's nothing in the chamber.. Sometimes it takes 10 pulls, sometimes it's on the first pull.

Thanks in advance, and yes, I will head over to the new members section tomorrow when I have more time. :)
It sounds like you have a P345PR, not a P345DPR which is the "decocker". I have the P345PR Manual Safety, as well...

When these pistols were first released, there was a problem with the pistol safety. If you pulled the trigger hard, with the safety on, it may bend/damage parts inside the gun. The Blocker Lever (KV02114), #41 in the P345 Parts Booklet, would bend, allowing the trigger to go fully rearward, thus releasing the sear. Since the safety levers lock the firing pin block, the gun won't fire. However, you should call Ruger and arrange to get your pistol fixed...

I hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Rope - when you press the safety lever down to decock the gun does it spring back up? If it does it's a decock only model. I have both types and when my safety model is in the down position it will not move the hammer to full cock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is the decock only model I believe, because it was manufactured in 2006 and it has a stainless slide. Also, yes, the hammer does spring back up when the safety is flipped down (on). I think I am going to give Ruger customer service a call and see whats going on. It mentions in the owners manual that it should pull back the hammer when the trigger is pressed, but not enough to make it spring forward. It just doesn't seem right..

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you have a P345 Decocker, the model number on the left side of the slide will be "P345D" and below the decocker lever will be the words "Decock Only". If your P345 is not marked this way, you have the Lawyers' model--sometimes referred to as the "Safety" model.

Depressing the safety/decock lever on either model decocks the pistol; however, while the "Safety" model lever stays down until it is manually moved back up into the "Fire" position, the Decocker's lever has a spring which returns the lever to the "Fire" position as soon as it is released--it will not stay down in the "Safe" position unless you use the #$%&*@# key lock to lock it in that position.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is my only complaint with this gun. I have the "Lawyers' model" as OldNavy calls it. At the range, I have to remember to take the safety off after decocking. I carry with the safety off and decocked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts