Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my heart set on getting a Ruger P345DPR, but lately, due in part to the ill-fated 45ACP military trials, a bunch of high tech, high capacity 45's have exploded onto the market. Of all of them, only one has my interest...the S&W M&P45 Dark Earth Brown. For once, one of these striker-fired pistols has a manual safety. The lack of has always been a perceived flaw in my eyes, especially as many lighten and tune these triggers to combat-grade 1911 level. The Springfield XD has a grip safety, which is great, but plenty can happen on the way from holster to target and especially back to the holster. I've always felt the trigger safeties were never much of a safety at all. I like that the M&P has a very low bore axis, has different sized backstraps that can be used, and carries a flush fitting 10RD mag while maintaining an acceptably sized grip frame. My only doubt is in it's use a home defence tool. How would that striker spring hold up to being constantly kept in a cocked status?

I am biased towards the P345. A single stack frame fits my meaty paws better, and it is a much slimmer, more compact firearm despite having a barrel only 1/4" shorter. I'll probably use extended 10rd mags in it anyway so magazine capacity isn't an issue. Traditional S/A or D/A designs have always appealed to me. It is also $130 less than the 'Smith, and well, that's a sound value. The Ruger has a fully polymer frame where the M&P has a steel chassis, but Ruger's Cam-Block system has been proving itself worthy for many years now. It's hard to admit, but as it would be the only autoloader that'd stay loaded in my home, I actually welcome the unsightly chamber loaded indicator and traditional exposed hammer as a quick reference to it's status.

I welcome anything new and innovative when it comes to firearms, and am glad I have a long time to think it over! It'll have to wait until I can shoot both back to back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rick_a, I've been doing the same comparison. You have already found them remarkably close in size, weight and purpose. The M&P will, no doubt, have less muzzle flip than the P345 but will not keep up with the P345 in accuracy from what I've read. A side by side shooting session will alone reveal the shootability of each. Also, the P series has proven itself to be durable and reliable. The M&P will take some time to establish itself. DAY

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have also been looking at the 345, but my p90 does so well I don't know if the 345 could surpass it. Guess I need to make it to the big city and find one at a range to try out. As far as the m&p, it reminds me too much of the sigma and that is a path I do not care to go down again.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
P90DC-ultimate reliability-strength-balance-low recoil-can't wear it out-accurate-can't be beat...would like to add a few but wouldn't trade it for any other...

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I carry the P97 for CCW, but have carried my Wife's P345 just to see the difference. The P345 is a little flatter and conceals better than the P97. I have a P345 ordered, and if it proves as reliable as my P97, it'll become my CCW.

·
jlweems
278 Posts
I won't argue with you on the safety issue. I'll only say that I prefer not to have one on a carry weapon.

As for the M&P, I got one on T&E from S&W. I loved everything about it until I actually shot it. I don't like the trigger reset, and it had an odd muzzle flip.

I've never shot a P345, but I'd probably lean towards one over the M&P.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First year pistols, like many products, sometimes have minor issues. The prior M&P series have done well, though. A lot of the modern polymer striker fired pistols seem to have a really quick, sharp recoil. It does take some getting used to. Those plastic triggers have an aweful feel, too. The Springfield XD is the only of those pistols with a decent trigger.

On the accuracy issue there are more accurate out of the box 45ACP's than any other caliber among production pistols, but the Ruger's are always near the top, which I've always found impressive, especially considering the prices.

If I do get a P345DPR I might get the slide blued (comes in stainless only) and will definitely "clean" the rear sight.

A friend of mine had a Sigma from the original production run (they've had two major revisions to present) and I wasn't impressed at all. The trigger pull has the feel of a long, creepy, heavy single action and breaks at around 12lbs. The fit and finish were nothing to be proud of. The only feature on positive note is a comfortable grip shape and good angle. He's been trying to sell it without losing a lot of money and has had no luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would not trade my P345 for ANY .45 currently available. Mine is the decok only version. It eats anything you feed it, it shoots with amazing accuracy, and it is about the quickest pistol to deploy when speed is of the essence!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have made my decision. It was neither of these. I ended up getting a CZ in 40S&W. T'was love at first sight!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Rick a...I had a good customer come in and wanted a good stainless 10mm. I ordered him a CZ Dan Wesson DWRZ-10 1911 style Razorback. The Razorback get is name from the serrated Clark-style target rib machined on top of the slide. Retails for $1,089. Quite a pistol...he loves it. Congrats on your CZ .40!!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is a CZ-40P. I've always loved CZ pistols, and was planning on buying one eventually. I was hoping they'd create an SP01 decocker in 40S&W but it hasn't happened yet. I came across info on this model by accident and it perfectly fits the bill. Awesome pistol with a steal of a price. This is the last year they'll be available so I had to jump on it now.

Not mine...but this is it:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts