Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Ammo (reloads I think) scratched the inside of my barrel. Can I replace it with a p89 barrel. I know they are manufactured differently the 85 is welded and the 89 is one piece. Thanks for your info!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi, jp

Couple things.

Bullets don't scratch the inside of the barrel. The jacket is softer than the steel barrel.

Minor scratches are nothing to worry about. They will not affect accuracy/performance.

Not unless you took a gouge out with a cleaning rod or something.

Are you sure these are not just machine/tooling marks that you are just noticing?

How deep is the scratch?

Doc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Durring the Ccw class they had us use some frangable rounds. Then I put about 400 rounds through with everything from +p+ to aluminum rounds. I figured it was some cheap reloads that did it. But Maybe it was the tip of the cleaning brush. It's a couple inches long but hard to say how deep. It's a straight line scratch

·
Registered
97 Posts
jp,

I think it's good that you can't tell how deep.

The barrel grooves are a good scale to compare to so if you can't tell, it sounds pretty minor.

I tried to research frangible bullets damaging barrels and I am not finding any documented cases. I found where someone said they heard that a police department was replacing barrels every 6 months, but cannot for the life of me find any such report, and I think that would certainly make a lot of internet noise.

Brushes wont scratch your barrel either. Well, I should say non-steel brushes. A 2 inch straight scratch sounds like something solid metal with an edge.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. And the scratch goes with the direction of the bullet.

Doc

·
Registered
97 Posts
You are welcome.

I just realized I never answered your original question.

The P85 and P89 barrels are not interchangeable.

Doc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts