Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all P series lovers.

Which one is the most preferred?

P85 Mark II or P89?

Both chambered in 9mm.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have the P 89 and it is a great pistol.
Don't know about the P 85 but I think the 89 is supposed to be an improved model
Others no doubt will have a more succinct answer I bet.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've had my P89 for almost 20 years and it has been 100% reliable. I am biased.

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
RM63 ... It is generally accepted that the P89 is the better of the two pistols in terms of design and accuracy. The following quote comparing the two came from a long time member at RF.com that I copied into my archive several years ago (don't remember his name). I believe it paints an accurate picture.

.... The P89 was basically a combination of being a product-improved version of the P85 MKII and a commercial version of Ruger's XM10 submission for the second round of the DoD pistol trials of the 1980s.

The P89 standardized the improved firing pin safety system, an grub screw secured rear sight and had an improved (thicker) barrel link, and improved accuracy due to a modifications to the barrel/slide component interrelationship. During its production cycle, numerous other improvements were applied/incorporated into the P89; probably the most major (and the most physically visible) was an additional modification to the barrel and slide positioning relationship, which resulted in the breach end of the barrel rising above the slide plane when in battery; I believe that this modification was introduced around the 305- serial range. P89 magazines were modified to sit slightly higher in the receiver, apparently easing the travel of the cartridge from magazine to chambering; I believe that this modification occurred around the 307- serial range (going on the Ruger magazine portion of their website specifies the serial range concerned). Magazines also changed in material and construction, from a blued tune with a flat sheet metal baseplate to stainless steel with a polymer (and thicker/slightly more protrusive) baseplate. I believe that the recoil spring guide also was modified during the P89 years, both in finish and from a "nub" end to a flat end.

Safety levers also changed in configuration during production, both in the shelf length and physical position, making the safety manipulations far easier and more instinctive. The original military-oriented lanyard loop mainspring cap was replaced with a flush-fitting (non-lanyard loop) mainspring cap as well.
Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RM63 ... It is generally accepted that the P89 is the better of the two pistols in terms of design and accuracy. The following quote comparing the two came from a long time member at RF.com that I copied into my archive several years ago (don't remember his name). I believe it paints an accurate picture.

Thanks Buck ... always looking for every angle prior to purchasing a new piece.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I like my P85 mark11 it's accurate for me. In the spring I go out and shoot wild flowers at 18 yd. And it has always discharged when it was suppose to. I replaced the sights with Millet and a homemade front sight.

·
Registered
545 Posts

The RF member coming up with the info was me-and you're welcome to it-glad it helped you and others here.

Best, Jon

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
The RF member coming up with the info was me-and you're welcome to it-glad it helped you and others here.

Best, Jon
Jon ... Thanks for ringing in and for a very thorough analysis ... great job :).

·
Registered
392 Posts
as an aside, I was in a gun store this morning and finally got to fondle a S&W 5906, the metal pistol from that other company. all I'm going to say is that I wouldn't trade for a P-89. (I would trade the P-89 for a good Sig P226(no rail!), yeah, like that's going to happen, hehehehe.)

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I say get one of each, you can never have too many!
At some point I would like to have at least one piece of each model. However, budgetary constraints make that a long term plan not a short term plan. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a P-85 MII with 15000 rounds through it I bought in 1986. It can easily hold 4 inches at 25 yards if I do my part, and it has jammed exactly 3 times. It looks like new. Damn nice gun. It's on the do not sell list.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My P89DC has digested just about every kind of ammo both foreign and domestic and has never malfunctioned. I have no idea how many rounds I've put through it since I never counted, but I bought it new back when it came out. My guess, several thousand. It will be for sale someday, but by then you would have to talk to my estate.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
4,164 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
8,028 Posts
Well I am late to the thread, but you already know my stance anyways. I like the p89 the best out of the 2, I own 2 p89's, 1 p85, 1 p93, and 2 p95's from the ruger 9mm line up. I like them all, but the 89's I have probably shot more. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts