Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came across a P89 in rough shape. I was pretty rusted and probably hadn't seen a drop of oil in a few years. I took a chance on it and bought it. I cleaned it up, and took it to the range. It worked great (the only problem I have is assembling it sometimes the guide rod won't set correctly onto the barrel, but just have to be careful and it will eventually get back together) for the most part. So, I stripped it, sanded it, degreased it, and re-blued. It turned out ok, for an amateur gunsmith I guess.

Anyway, my dad came down for Thanksgiving. Last year I got him a nice little Bersa .380 for Christmas. He wanted something to small to pack around. He has a hard time with DOA triggers on small 9mms so I thought the DA/SA of the Bersa Thunder would be good. Well, he likes the Bersa well enough, but he thinks he should be able to shoot a nice tight group from more than 20 feet (he's 65 and doesn't quite understand a CCW type gun, he's always had a Blackhawk .357). So I thought, well, there isn't much I can get a guy who has everything he wants or needs, so I gave him the P89 I fixed up. He really liked it, but liked it more because I was able to put some time into to and fix it up. He likes that kind of stuff. Kind of a cheesy story I guess, but it made my weekend that I was able to bring that Ruger back to life and my dad will now carry it around his land in Montana.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
That's great, and good for you.
P89 is a great work horse.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I don't think it's cheesy at all. The work and care you put into would make it a special gift if it were my son. I have the means to buy any gun I want (within reason) but a gun like this cannot be bought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts