Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just found this forum and have a question about the P89. I've owned a P89 for several years but really haven't shot it much. I recently discovered IDPA and IPSC shooting competitions and am looking at guns to compete with. I was just wondering if many folks use the P89 and if yes, what modifications, if any, are recommended?
Thanks,
Dan'o :)

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I honestly do not know of anyone that uses the P89 for IPSC or IDPA, but I do not see why you couldn't! I think most people use some form of the 1911 all tricked out.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read that some folks use either the P89 or Ruger in competition. For IDPA it seems like it would work as you're only allowed to use a duty type of weapon, although tweaked and tuned 1911's are definitely big. For IPSC there are a lot of 45's that look like something out of Star Wars, but there are normal looking guns there too. I'm looking at getting a .45 also, but wanted to see how my P89 would work before I go out and spend a bunch of money.
Dan'o :}

·
Registered
542 Posts
You might want to go to the "other forum"-www.rugerforum.com-and check out the thread that I initiated detailing the very favorable experience that I had shooting my P89 last month in our local IDPA competition. It should be within the first three pages of the semi-auto threads.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jon, I assume you are the one who answered me on the other site, lots of good info. I'm so glad I found these sites. Finding out that my gun is much better than I thought it was is great!!!
Dan'o :} FNG

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I polished all of the trigger parts in my KP89DC. It smoothed up the trigger action quite a bit. If you pay attention to the trigger reset, & practice using it, you will speed up your shot times. I don't use the P89 for USPSA or TSA stuff, I use a XD or a 1911 for those games. But I do shoot the P89 at the range a lot & I don't know why it wouldn't be good for those competitions. Good luck & have fun running & gunning with your Ruger. :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, I've had the gun since 1993 and have only fired 50 rounds through it back then (I always shot my duty weapon), so the gun is basically new. I have to get off my butt and go shoot a bunch through it and see if any problems develope, but I'm sure it would benefit from some fine tuning. I'm still looking at getting a 1911 for some competition shooting, but it sound like a new set of grips and some fine tuning will allow the P89 to continue to be a good CCW gun.
Thanks for the info. Starting to get excited about shooting again!!
Dan'o :} FNG

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I doubt you'll have any trouble with your P89. I put a Houge Mono-Grip on mine & I really like the feel of it. Some people don't like to use a rubber grip for CCW though.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Always liked Packmeyer (sp), so I'll give Hogue a try since it doesn't cost that much, and If I don't like them I can always give them to my dad (LOL).
Dan'o :}

1 - 9 of 9 Posts