Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellows, I need to see if anyone here has had this problem. I shot 30 rounds out of my new P89 yesterday and on rd # 28 the slide locked about 2/3 of the back,just far enough so that # 28 did not eject. I cleared the pistol and racked the slide several times and had a really tight spot about 2/3 of the way through its travel. I took it down last night and looked for any sign of a "burr" and did not see anything.When I put it back together it worked smooth as silk, so I took it back out this afternoon and out of 43 rds it did the same thing twice. Slide just locked MOST of the way back and had a lot of resistance to being moved. Got it back in the house and it's working smoothly again!! I've been fiddling with guns for 40 years so I'm no rookie. Do I just need to "shoot it in", or have any of you had a problem like this that needed correction other than just shooting?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Without being familiar with possible mechanical problems I would first say that maybe it is just a tad tight since it is new. If cleaning it gets it going again I would take some cleaning gear and oil to the range and shoot some, clean/oil if it starts sticking and shoot some more. Hopefully after a couple or three boxes of ammo it will be functioning properly. If not then maybe there is more to it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
skipper49, Take a good look at the Recoil Spring "Guide Rod". It quite possibly could be giving you the occasional "hangup". Remember that Ruger has quite a bit of "tolerance" built into the P-Series pistols and this has been a problem area for them up to this point. All it takes is for it to get just a "little" out of alignment to give this type of problem!............Dick

·
Registered
191 Posts
Take a look and see if your recoil spring isn't on backwards. that's the most common cause of that type of malfunction. A good sign of that is the guide rod will be all scratched and gouged.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hot dog! I hope that's the problem. I'll find out tonight after my SCV meeting. Strange problem for a Ruger IMO.
Thanks a lot for the responses fellows. I'll let you know as soon as I shoot it again.
Regards

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok fellows, I need to see if anyone here has had this problem. I shot 30 rounds out of my new P89 yesterday and on rd # 28 the slide locked about 2/3 of the back,just far enough so that # 28 did not eject. I cleared the pistol and racked the slide several times and had a really tight spot about 2/3 of the way through its travel. I took it down last night and looked for any sign of a "burr" and did not see anything.When I put it back together it worked smooth as silk, so I took it back out this afternoon and out of 43 rds it did the same thing twice. Slide just locked MOST of the way back and had a lot of resistance to being moved. Got it back in the house and it's working smoothly again!! I've been fiddling with guns for 40 years so I'm no rookie. Do I just need to "shoot it in", or have any of you had a problem like this that needed correction other than just shooting?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Hello. Did you ever find a resolution for this? Was it indeed the spring/guide rod assembly? I recently acquired an older used one in great shape. Haven't fired it yet but based on the description you've given, I'm almost positive that they have an identical issue. Ill copy and paste what I wrote in the forum last night. If you could confirm or let me know I would appreciate it so much. Thx.

Hello friends. I'll just jump right in here. I recently got in trade a p89 pistol. Not really familiar with it. I haven't shot it yet but the guy said it works perfect. It's clean and lubed and everything looks okay visually. (but I'm not familiar with this gun.) I want to pass it to a family member as a house gun but anyway. For apparently no reason, sometimes when racking the slide by hand, the action seems to bind up and will even stop the slide from moving forward altogether. No Idea why. Then it goes back to normal. Spring is in good shape. I would appreciate some input on someone familiar with p89. I thought ruger had lifetime warranty but they want 30 something bucks to buy a shipping label and have them check it out.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I had a new Springfield TRP that did the same thing the first couple of times out when it was brand new. It was fitted TIGHT and once the SS heated up it locked up solid with the slide half way open. After it happened the second time I took the gun apart, cleaned it up good and then sat in front of the tv and racked the gun by hand some 500 times. I cant remember the name but there is a compound you can put on the slide to speed up the process when hand racking but I just did it with a dry gun.

I took the gun apart and oiled it and never had the problem again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts