Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my P89 for over a year now, and have run over 1700 rounds through it.

My Kimber 1911 manual recommends a recoil spring change after so many rounds. I've not seen any recommendations for routine spring changes in my Ruger manual.

Is there a recommended time to change the recoil spring? Or do I just keep on shooting until I have problems?

Thanks,

WM

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Shoot it like it was stolen. I've never heard of any recommendation to change the springs at a set time. In fact, have heard of no one changing the recoil spring at all unless to mod the gun. 'course there are others a lot smarter than me when it comes to them auto loaders.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I use the "brass distance factor"... If the brass ejects further than 3 to 6 feet, then start looking at recoil spring replacement... As a sidenote: I haven't had this problem yet on my Rugers...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ejection distance depends on a lot of factors including, but not limited to, bullet weight, load, tightness of grip, extractor stiffness, etc., in other words, cartridge impulse. The stock spring was designed for unlimited life with SAAMI rated ammunition. If you feel more comfortable changing it, please do. I have a very early P85 purchased new and it still has the original spring in it and performs just fine. Well in excess of 10,000 rds.

·
Registered
842 Posts
My older P85 has at least 6500 rds through it and still works just fine, dumping most of the empties fairly close together about 5 or 6 ft to the right rear. When I order a new magazine release spring pretty soon I may get a new recoil spring and guide rod just to have it on hand.
Baker

·
Registered
302 Posts
My P89 that had less than 50 rounds fires ejects brass so far away I can't estimate the distance. It is reliable and accurate.

I thought weak springs caused jams or something.

We are all in all a pretty good bunch here so let's figure this one out so we all know.

tk

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My P90 spits them up to 14'-and it's had less than 500 through it...I like the idea of having a spare on hand like btrumanj...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Seems to me the hotter the load the further it will fly when ejected. Not that I know anything about it.

I feel the slide hit the end every time I fire +P+. The groups are good and it feeds continuously I call the spring good.

If one changes a spring out test it a lot on the range to make sure it performs and it will still be a good Ruger.

imho

tk

·
Registered
401 Posts
FWIW... "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

·
Registered
34 Posts
I put a 16 lb 1911 spring in my P90. It's preloaded (slide is shorter) but fits and is stronger than the stock spring. The gun eats everything I feed it, mild to wild, and it doesn't shoot the brass excessively far even with +P stuff.

No recommended spring changes that I know about on Rugers, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts