Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a lightly used P89 last week. First handgun since selling mine 24 yrs ago when I joined the Navy. Been to the range 2 times. So far I've been all over the place. Each time I ID a problem (push, light grip, tight grip, thumb pressure, etc...) and correct it I create another one. I know I need to be patient and practice, but since I can only get to the range about once a week or so I'm hoping someone can suggest some web sites where I can get some good dryfire drills. I can hold my own when it comes to rifle, but I've always had trouble with a pistol. It's time to change that.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'm a very INformal shooter-partial to .45-just got a P90 around Turkey Day-but I've trained a few young cops to shoot---the key word is relax...our eyes do stuff at our age that a 20-year-old don't have to deal with, but you've got one of the best pistols made-reliable and accurate...I'd start with a silhouette target and put all shots in the shoulders to belly button triangle first-at 15 then 25 yards...then practice 15-yard head shots when you're comfy with it...don't hold the gun like in a vise-the recoil won't move it till the bullet's gone...I've had new shooters shoot with just a thumb and index finger holding a .45-that'll cure you of recoil worries...then think about squeezing the trigger so softly that when it goes off you're surprised-you should never know "now"-so you don't jerk it...don't hold for the "perfect" sight picture-too long and you'll wobble. You're in for a lot of fun- Wallyworld has 9mm ball for appx. 8 a box of 50-I try to bust a box a month in .45, if I don't, I get bad rusty...let us know how it goes and have fun!! Tell us about your rifles...I'd give Davey Crockett cramps laughing so hard at my attempted rifle shooting-just the M14 I got good at-not even that good with .22-Now I can blame it on my eyes:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sheepdog, Vise grip and holding for a perfect picture too long are 2 biggies I know I need to work on correcting. I also like the idea of the silhouette target instead of the bullseye. I know I'll get it worked out, I'm just being impatient.

No rifles of my own right now. Currently using my nephew's AR-15 and .308. I'm looking to get a muzzleloader and a .270 sometime before hunting season. Now that I'm retired from the Navy, settled down, and home every day after work, it's time to get back into hunting and shooting again.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Does Fla. have good hunting? Thought it was jam-packed with Yankees and Cubans and cockroaches? Open land or private? Here in Tx. it costs like $1500 for hunting rights per year-unless you have your own land...

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Something that has helped me over the years is having a .22 pistol and Rifle to shoot. After I shoot a gun that has some recoil a few times and then go to a .22 I can tell if I'm flinching any. With a revolver you can load one cylinder and snap until it hits the loaded cylinder and tell that way. You're on the right track though. Nothing like a lot of practice and watching for what you do wrong so you can correct it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks KP, I'm going to use a version of your empty cylinder technique. I have some snap caps that I am going to have my buddy load randomly in both mags. so we can see what's going on. I don't know why I have this problem with a pistol. Each time I squeeze off a round in a rifle, .308, .223, 7.62, 30-06, etc..., the shot is a surprise and I'm consistently shooting small tight groups out to 100 yds. (range limit). I'm going to work on slow, relaxed shots to center mass on a silhouette and try to improve on grouping and head shots. That should help make my practice more fun, practicle, and less intimidating than that @#$% small bullseye.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Does Fla. have good hunting? Thought it was jam-packed with Yankees and Cubans and cockroaches? Open land or private? Here in Tx. it costs like $1500 for hunting rights per year-unless you have your own land...
Hunting is not too bad. Small white tail, turkey, wild hog, etc... Both open land and private. Eglin AFB has 1000's of acres as well as plenty of WMA's. It's only $20 for resident military and retirees for a Military Gold Sportsman's License (includes Hunting, Saltwater Fishing and Freshwater Fishing licenses; and Wildlife Management Area, Archery, Muzzleloading Gun, Crossbow, Turkey and Florida Waterfowl, Snook and Lobster Permits).

It's not Colorado (last place I hunted 24 yrs ago) but it's affordable, relaxing, and I enjoy it. Just like fishing, "A bad day hunting beats a good day at work".

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Affordable is a big part-if it costs $2000-it makes the meat taste funny!!!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Congrats on the new P89,

5 weeks until my CCW comes through but I am looking at making the same purchase, can't wait but have to. peace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts