Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my wife struggles to decide what her next gun will be, I have begun to realize what a remarkable gun my Ruger P89 is. I have NEVER had an FTF, FTE, Stovepipe, etc. with this gun. Never have I pulled the trigger and had it not go BANG.

Limp wristing has never been a problem no matter who in my family shoots this gun.

Friends of the family who are complete novices have been able to shoot her without problems.

It has shot every brand and kind of ammo I have ever fed it.

As a family we own the P89, a Kel Tek P3AT, a Bersa T380, and a Kimber Compact CDP II. All of the other guns had some occassional problems early on. The Bersa continues to have a problem.

So my question is:

Has anyone here EVER had their P89 fail to shoot?

Just curious.

Thanks,

WM

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I have had my P89 for at least 6 years and it has never failed me. I have shot 115 grain JHP reloads exclusively through it, and not once has it ever jammed, misfired, or otherwise malfunctioned. I trust it implicitly.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My P89DC is going on two years old now, & has never failed in anyway. It has seen a lot of rounds in it's life. [^]

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well, someone has to be different. [V] Yes.... I have had some failures although I blame none of them on the gun. I bought my P89 10 years ago in the klintonista era and refused to use the 10 round factory mags. Factory 15 rounders were very rare and so I went with USA mags.
In the first thousand rounds I had one jam - and it really jammed up pretty good. Now...I was using Wolf Ammo and USA mags!! I blame the round actually. I think the OAL was too long and it nosedived in the mag. In defense of Wolf, that was the only round out of a thousand that caused problems. In defense of USA mags, that was the only problem in 1500 rounds fired.
At that point, I found a gun store in Pittsburgh that had factory new 15 rounders. I paid too much for them but was glad to have them.
In the second thousand rounds = no problems.
In the third thousand rounds.... well... I had twelve failures - twelve rounds out of the same box of ammo. And what was this rock-gut stuff? Winchester SXT 147g JHP. Now this is scary!! This is supposed to be premium self defense ammo and I had 12 rounds out of 20 not function correctly. When I fired the pistol, I knew right away that something didn't sound right...but there was a hole in the target so I knew the bullet had at least made it out of the barrel. However, there was not enough "oooomph" from the round to cycle the slide...at all!! And 12 rounds were like this!!
I have 3,415 rounds thru my P89 and these were the only issues...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My P89 has never had a failure of any kind with any ammunition. I've shot it so fast and so much that I could barely stand to pull the trigger it got so hot. Tough gun, for sure.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Nope, nada, none! My P-89T has been perfect! [^]

·
Registered
27 Posts
My P89 started to have fail to fire problems. I had bought it used so I have no idea how many rounds went through it before I got it. I detail striped the slide and the firing pin and FP channel was so full of gunk that I'm amazed that it fired at all. Even with all of the gunk it was still 98% reliable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts