Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I called Ruger and ordered 2 followers and springs to change my P90 mags from 8 rounds to 7 rounds. I wanted to get away from the problems the metal followers are causing by hitting the frame. I hope the Ruger 7 round followers and springs will work as well as the Wilson's 8 rounders you guys talk about.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Huh, I hadn't heard about the problems with the 8 rounders. Can you explain?

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Well I called Ruger and ordered 2 followers and springs to change my P90 mags from 8 rounds to 7 rounds. I wanted to get away from the problems the metal followers are causing by hitting the frame. I hope the Ruger 7 round followers and springs will work as well as the Wilson's 8 rounders you guys talk about.
Old timer,Do those kits come with the polymer followers?I hadn't looked into the kits from Ruger. I have probably 12 mags for my 90's with both metal and poly followers and haven't experienced a problem with any of them...

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Huh, I hadn't heard about the problems with the 8 rounders. Can you explain?
Big,The problem talked about is with the Mckormick design magazines the metal follower will sometimes move forward on the last round causing a jam.I've seen many threads on different forums on this subject,the polymer followers seem to work better,but you lose a round.UNLESS you convert that poly follower (cut it down) to get the 8th round back in...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Lagun, just keep a close watch on your frame directly under the feed ramp. The problem that occurs is that the metal follower slides forward on the last shot and gouges the aluminum frame just below the feed ramp. Mine didn't do it for a long time, but then I started noticing a gouged place on the frame. I wasn't having jams. It was damaging the frame.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the ones I ordered from Ruger are the original 7 round polymer followers. The ones Wilson has are also polymer. As I understand it if you change from the metal followers you also have to change the spring because they are different.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, the ones I ordered from Ruger are the original 7 round polymer followers. The ones Wilson has are also polymer. As I understand it if you change from the metal followers you also have to change the spring because they are different.
The springs for the plastic followers are shorter.

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
Good thread. I don't own a P90 but it's on the wish list. When it becomes a reality then polymer is apparently the watchword for the mags. When I bought my P94 in 40 S&W I ordered 2 more mags from Ruger so I have four 11 rounders and they all work just fine. No failures in 15 years.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Lagun, just keep a close watch on your frame directly under the feed ramp. The problem that occurs is that the metal follower slides forward on the last shot and gouges the aluminum frame just below the feed ramp. Mine didn't do it for a long time, but then I started noticing a gouged place on the frame. I wasn't having jams. It was damaging the frame.
I haven't had that problem ,but I will definitely check it regularly...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do the wilson followers ork without any modificaion on the 8 round magazines annwithout chnaging hte springs. If so seems like that would be the better way to go.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think when you go to the website for the Wilsons it shows both the follower and spring together. I don't know if you can use the spring already in the magazine or not.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I noticed the scarz under my feed ramp but just filed it smooth and never had any problems worth replacing mag parts and I have shot about 700 rounds since no prob. and I keep 8 rds.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Damage photo of gouge under feed ramp

I noticed this gouge under the feed ramp in my aluminum framed P90. I called Ruger and the tech asked me to send a photo. Waiting for their response.

The mags I use for this gun are all 8 rd. OEM Ruger.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Do the wilson followers ork without any modificaion on the 8 round magazines annwithout chnaging hte springs. If so seems like that would be the better way to go.
They don't work. The springs are longer on the 8 round magazines. You have to change both the springs and followers.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I noticed this gouge under the feed ramp in my aluminum framed P90. I called Ruger and the tech asked me to send a photo. Waiting for their response.

The mags I use for this gun are all 8 rd. OEM Ruger.
Hey Savage, I have the same frame gouge issue with my P90. What did Ruger say to do about it? Mine will jam every 30th round or so as well... Thanks

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I looked on Rugers site and couldn't find the kits or new mags with the 7 round polymer followers.
Where can you get the springs?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts