Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new to this forum. If this thread has been discussed before, I apologize for not researching further. i've been looking all over the web for a magwell to add more surface grip during competition. It seems all magwells applies to 1911s. frustrating. I've come across weld-on single stack magwell in the web....too pricey in the long run. So... i ended up butchering my P90. Dremeled the lanyard loop off, filed and grinded the back end of the frame into a ramp. it does work for faster reloads! I'm using 10rnd mags ( Limited 10). So if anybody has seen 'em , pleeease post. thank you.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
I've never seen one.The mainspring housing is a part of the grip frame on the P90 and cannot be changed like on a 1911.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The wife and I have two KP90s and both have a factory installed plug in place of a lanyard ring. Several years ago when I bought mine new, I toyed with the idea of using it in competition and in fact did a couple of times. It worked very well but I rather quickly gave up on the idea of mag wells, and other mods, because there just seemed to be little to nothing available. It was just too easy and convenient to go with a 1911.

It may well be different now, i haven't looked in several years, but given the P90 is not current production I'd think pickins would be pretty slim. I know finding a simple part like a guide rod is rather difficult since the tipped ones are often listed as no longer made.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I'll just have to contend with whats on hand. so far I'm having fun with it at the local clubshoot, My pet peeve right now is why Ruger did'nt design a full length rail on the frame instead of "tabs". On the third stage of competition, my P90 seems to run "dry" and thats where i start having stovepipes/ FTFs.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use a thin coating of RIG + P stainless steel grease on all surfaces of the rails and I've never run "dry". A shooting session was usually 250 rounds or so (wife and me) and when done the Rig was still there.

Now that we have two KP90s, round count per gun per session is halved, but the Rig stays put on both guns.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Try a little white lithium grease in the rails. It works great.

Kenny

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you're right guys! GREASE would be worth trying as the oil just seem to ooze out to the back of the slide during constant battery. thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts