Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a Ruger forum, but I have a question. I guess I'm asking this to see how a P90 stacks up against other handguns, because of my limited Ruger knowledge. I decided my next Ruger is going to be the P90. I went looking today and I found one, but I also found some other deals as well. There was three other .45's there at a good price. A Kimber CDPII Pro, Glock 21SF, and a Sig 220. Those three guns can be bought a discount, (if they are still there), because people put them on layaway along time ago and have not been back or returned phone calls. He said I can have any of them for what ever the balance owed. A couple hundred of two of them and about 130 off the Glock. Or, I can go with the P90. What would you do? Frank.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Very personal decision. All the guns you mention have their champions, as well as detractors. I have a P90 and it is the most accurate .45 I have ever owned. But, I have never owned a Kimber. There are many folks that swear by them, and they sure are a handsome gun. I, personally, never cared for Glocks. I know, they are great guns, but they are just not my thing. The Sig is supposed to be an outstanding weapon as well. So, I know I have not helped you much, but like I said, this is a very personal decision. I guess the best thing you could do is to handle each of said guns and pick the one that just feels right to you. Honestly, the 1911 feels better to me than my P90, but I have never owned a 1911 that would reliably feed HPs. Never. Everyone I ever owned would jam with HPs.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
No experience with that model kimber but kimber does seem to have an excellent rep. If you like a single action, and are trained in its manual of arms.
Glock 21 is just plain too large of a grip for me but like most glocks people either love them or hate them. glock has the lion's share of the LE market.
Sig is a fine gun as well and a smaller share in the LE market. One's that i've shot are accurate. Not left hand friendly in std format.
I've made so many comments about the p90--my favorite 45!
Would i buy a kimber or a sig if cheap enough--yes. would i trade off my p90 to get one?---no!
Biggest recomendation i can make is go to a range and borrow examples from other shooters or rent examples. Get some hands-on with these models.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Well, all of them are good from some point of view, and they are pricey too: between $700 and $900 each, if new. P90 is much cheaper, and it's still pretty nice to have. I would touch them all to see which one is sitting better in your hand. If you stick with two, you can probably go to a range and rent those models to see the difference in action. Then you'll get the one you like.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
None of the others surpass the P90, and the difference in price would buy a lot of ammo...the key with .45 is to shoot often...don't go 3 months without shooting...so I'd go with the P90 and never look back...the only other I'd recommend to a shooter new to semiautos would be the Sig...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to go with the P90 de-cocker!!! I have not shot it yet, when I do I'll give a range report. Someone at work wants to trade his P90 for my 345. Tempting...I have never traded handguns before. If I do, I'll have two P90's. His is the same one that I bought, stainless de-cocker. Should I?? Frank.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
quote:Originally posted by pafrank

I decided to go with the P90 de-cocker!!! I have not shot it yet, when I do I'll give a range report. Someone at work wants to trade his P90 for my 345. Tempting...I have never traded handguns before. If I do, I'll have two P90's. His is the same one that I bought, stainless de-cocker. Should I?? Frank.
THat is up to you, but why would you want 2 P90s? I would rather have one of each. I mean I do own a P89 and P90, and they look just alike, but they are not, one being a 9 and the other a .45. You can use your P345 for CCW and your P90 for just plain shooting fun!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
If you trade off that 345, do you still have the parts that you "cleaned"? Would rather trade it off up to factory specs than having traded knowing a designed safety device removed---civil liability raises its ugly head. Let Ruger get into trouble for the parts being in there and release yourself from any liabilty from removing them. That gun could change hands several times down the road and someone could wind up with it and no mention of the "cleaning". May take the mag disconnect for granted--Accidents happen.
Lots of folks dbl up on models---nothing wrong with it.
I don't.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'd trade in a heartbeat-even if I had to order some parts to make my trade gun whole again...two of the finest fighting weapons Ruger ever made-one for the house and one to carry-same mags...I'da already jumped on that deal...I want another and two KP97DCs also-a spare of the gun you're most used to carrying, OHYEAH!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts