Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So When I get back from Iraq I intend on getting my first handgun. I now I want a .45 but I want something smaller. I really like the P345 but after reading about its major flaw I dont know if I can trust it. I like the P90 as well but how bulky is it? Im gunna want my girlfriend to be able to shoot it as well and I dont know if it will suit her. If I were to say she probably wheres a medium size glove and I would where a large. I like ruger because I have heard some good things about them and you cant beat the price. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

-Brad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks, Ill look into it. Are they hard to find? I see there not even on the ruger site.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Ruger discontinued them when they came out with the P345. You can still find them on Gun sights like Gunbrokers, and Guns America, but they are drying up. I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of people will wish they had one later. They are very fine guns and easier to carry than the P90.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about a p944? I know its only a .40 but that still enough stopping power. Im mainly just going to use it for the range and home defense considering Maryland laws make it impossible to carry concealed. Views on the gun? I like it cus its smaller then the P90 but still will have some ooomf

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I really don't have a problem with the P90-hides as well as the P97 for me---super-reliable-easy to shoot and accurate...if you can't find a P97, that'd be my choice and is my carry .45 now...IWB on my belly and disappears...comfortable and comforting...Thanks much for your service to us all...we'll be praying for you...

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
They are all good guns. Just find the one you like best and thats what you should get. Thats why they make all the different styles and calibers of guns. Different preferences.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Before you make up your mind, try a 345. I personally like the way it handles better and mine has been 100% reliable. Just my two cwnts.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I'm sure that when you get back you can get in some range time somewhere and hopefully get to try out some different models of rugers to help you decide.

Some ranges may have some rugers that you can rent to try out. And some folks that show up at different ranges usually will gladly let someone try out their pistols for a few shots.

In other words, test drive some different models if you can before you buy.

As the proud owner of a p-90, all i can say is it's my choice hands down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
quote:I really don't have a problem with the P90-hides as well as the P97 for me---super-reliable-easy to shoot and accurate...if you can't find a P97, that'd be my choice and is my carry .45 now...IWB on my belly and disappears...comfortable and comforting...Thanks much for your service to us all...we'll be praying for you...
Yeah, the P90 is reliable, accurate in the extreme, and only a couple of ounces heavier and not much bigger than the P97. I ain't swappin', shoot that P90 as well as any handgun I've ever picked up, lots of rounds through it and some match wins. I have a Milt Sparks summer special for it that works well for concealment with a baggy enough shirt. I just wish Ruger would come out with the P90 in 10mm. That would be awesome.

One thing I like about it is it takes the hogue finger groove grips. I had a P95. The Handall sleeve was better than nothing, but the P85 and P90 feel just SOOOOO good with that grip to me and the finger grooves help index the hand on the draw.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Definitely the P345 in decock-only. I never understood the need for a decocker and safety on a double action pistol (except maybe uniformed carry).

The P944 is another great one, as I prefer the heft of a metal framed pistol, but they are quite bulky in width.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts