Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a visit to my LGS yesterday, I saw a used P94 in .40 S&W, decocker model, on sale for $329.

My immediate thought was "let me see THAT one..."

By my observation, most P94s sell in the range of $400 to $450. So I am wondering why this was price so low. Is it because it is the decocker model instead of the safety model?

I've been thinking of adding a P94, because they use the same magazine as my PC4 carbine. Is there a reason I would not want the decocker model?

I have an FEG P-63, the Hungarian clone of the Walther PPK, which also is a decocker model. But with it, when you decock it -- to make the gun 'safe' -- you can thumb back the hammer and still have a round in the chamber, and a single-action trigger pull. With this Ruger, once you decocked it, you could not thumb back the hammer...so I guess it was double-action only?

I'm thinking that the $329 price might make it worthwhile to make another 80-mile trip to the 'local' gunshop... but I want to be reassured that I would like having and shooting that decocker model.

Anyone have any suggestions, I'd like to hear them...

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
I prefer the Decocker model for a carry gun that way theres no safety to worry about,it acts like a revolver with DA then SA action.The price seems really good I would get it,I missed out on a P94 in 9mm and he wanted twenty bucks more for it...

·
Registered
55 Posts
In a visit to my LGS yesterday, I saw a used P94 in .40 S&W, decocker model, on sale for $329.

My immediate thought was "let me see THAT one..."

By my observation, most P94s sell in the range of $400 to $450. So I am wondering why this was price so low. Is it because it is the decocker model instead of the safety model?

I've been thinking of adding a P94, because they use the same magazine as my PC4 carbine. Is there a reason I would not want the decocker model?

I have an FEG P-63, the Hungarian clone of the Walther PPK, which also is a decocker model. But with it, when you decock it -- to make the gun 'safe' -- you can thumb back the hammer and still have a round in the chamber, and a single-action trigger pull. With this Ruger, once you decocked it, you could not thumb back the hammer...so I guess it was double-action only?

I'm thinking that the $329 price might make it worthwhile to make another 80-mile trip to the 'local' gunshop... but I want to be reassured that I would like having and shooting that decocker model.

Anyone have any suggestions, I'd like to hear them...
If the lever does not spring back up after dropping the hammer, (remains down) and you have to physically push it up to fire, you have a safety model and cannot cock the hammer with the safety engaged. You will also see a red (fire)or white (safe) dot through the hole in the left lever.
If it's a decocker only, The lever will spring up to a horizontal position and you will be able to cock the hammer for single shot. Or it can be fired double action for the first shot. Your option. A double action only has no hammer spur or decock/safety lever. I have one as decocker, infact all my P series (5 models) are decockers, my preference. I've used each of them in an informal IDPA type competition and am happy with them all. Great guns IMHO. The price seems to be good. My three year old Blue Book shows $345 in 95% condition.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
A just saw a like-new (not a nick or scratch on it) P94 for 300 here. His price is a little high.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just picked up a P94 in a safety model as a ccw love how it performs on the range also have a set of hogue rubber grips coming in this week as well as a set of mako night sights. The gun itself is large and bulky but if your a bigger guy with a fairly large hand it is comfortable to shoot.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
I have the decocker model and take advantage of that feature often. Glad to see the gun is holding its value. I paid $299 for mine in 1995. Put a Hogue grip on it and you will be set for a lifetime of shooting pleasure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts