Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my Ruger P94 9mm . I just saw this on the underside of the frame. just forward of the trigger. Does it look like a machine or casting mark or a crack ? To me it looks like a molding mark from casting but I always like a second opinion. I rubbed my finger along it and it is raised very slightly and I put it under my magnifying glass. To me it looks like a casting mark. Thanks for any information.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
This is my Ruger P94 9mm . I just saw this on the underside of the frame. just forward of the trigger. Does it look like a machine or casting mark or a crack ? To me it looks like a molding mark from casting but I always like a second opinion. I rubbed my finger along it and it is raised very slightly and I put it under my magnifying glass. To me it looks like a casting mark. Thanks for any information.
I will check my two P-94's ... does it extend down and around?

my P-94's are 40 S&W ... will check regardless ... my feeling it's a crack

if it was a casting line I think it would run parallel with the barrel ... there appears to be a casting line running parallel right in front of the trigger

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
It could be a crack, but it's awfully straight. Try this: put a few drops of gun solvent on the area, let it soak in for a while and then wipe off. If it's a crack, you should see some solvent ooze out after you've wiped the surface clean.

Jim

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It could be a crack, but it's awfully straight. Try this: put a few drops of gun solvent on the area, let it soak in for a while and then wipe off. If it's a crack, you should see some solvent ooze out after you've wiped the surface clean.

Jim
No oozing out . Plus It is raised up so I am guessing it may be a casting mark

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Well I was going to say it looks like a crack, but after looking at my P94 I have the exact same line. It does not extend past the edge of either feature line and is awful straight. I believe it is from the factory.

I would not have ever even noticed it if you did not post this. So thanks for the post.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Another vote for casting mark.

I just checked my P94 9mm and it's got the same line, in the exact same spot. Like others have said, I never noticed it before.

·
Administrator
22,280 Posts
Now you guys are making me get up out of my comfortable chair and go downstairs to see if I have the same thing on mine. Oh all right. ;)

·
Administrator
22,280 Posts
Yup but it is barely visible. Guess that sums it up. Thanks BTW I think I'll bring the P94 to TX with me for the winter.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Casting line. If it was a crack in that area, it would have originated at the corner of the square opening for the trigger :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I was going to say it looks like a crack, but after looking at my P94 I have the exact same line. It does not extend past the edge of either feature line and is awful straight. I believe it is from the factory.

I would not have ever even noticed it if you did not post this. So thanks for the post.

Awesome that you guys have the same . Can you post a picture please ? Just to help reassure an old OCD fart like me ? LOL

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another vote for casting mark.

I just checked my P94 9mm and it's got the same line, in the exact same spot. Like others have said, I never noticed it before.

Could you please post a picture ? Sorry to bother you but I'd really like to see it.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
1) If you run your finger nail over it you'll see that it is proud of the surrounding surface. A crack won't be, a casting flash will be.
2) Pretty cold day in hell for a Ruger pistol frame to crack.
3) **IF** that's a crack it's pretty damn straight and even

Large money says that a casting line and not a crack.

Go shooting.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1) If you run your finger nail over it you'll see that it is proud of the surrounding surface. A crack won't be, a casting flash will be.
2) Pretty cold day in hell for a Ruger pistol frame to crack.
3) **IF** that's a crack it's pretty damn straight and even

Large money says that a casting line and not a crack.

Go shooting.
Thanks buddy , it seems to be a casting flash/mark. I agree with the cold day in hell remark LOL :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
That is not a crack.

I had a Ruger SS frame that had lots of cracks in it.
Ruger replaced it, great customer service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a p94 40cal several years ago and got in a need for cash and had to sell it. I think the guy I sold it to may still have it and I was wondering what the going rate on this gun would be now. I thinking of trying to buy it back is why I ask.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I bought a p94 40cal several years ago and got in a need for cash and had to sell it. I think the guy I sold it to may still have it and I was wondering what the going rate on this gun would be now. I thinking of trying to buy it back is why I ask.
IMHO ... depending on what you sold it for $ wise, I would think something in the neighborhood of $280 - $310 would be an OK deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts