Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sent my P444TH back to Sturn Ruger for correction of two problems - excessive Type 3 Malfunctions and very sloppy trigger play in SA.
I just received it back from SR. They replaced the extractor, but regarding the other problem noted that the "gun was operating within specifications."
My question is this:
Is 3/16" to 1/4" of no resistance ("slop") in the SA trigger normal for a Ruger P944TH? Note that there is no slop in the DA trigger...
If so, doesn't that really eliminate this gun from consideration for any tactical purpose?
Any response from somebody with a P94 without this problem would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The take-up, or slop as you refer to it, is there for two reasons. First, it is designed as a service pistol to be used under rough handling and high stress situations. It is a characteristic typical of all Ruger 'P' series pistols You don't want a pistol discharging because of rough handling or a nervous handler. Second, the trigger mechanism is designed to require a full release of the trigger for the disconnector to operate properly and the hammer not follow the slide. It isn't there in DA because the heavier trigger pull is sufficient for safety. Bottom line is it's there to prevent accidents. It was never intended to be a target trigger. You'll get accustomed to it, the rest of us did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:Originally posted by COFFEE POT

The take-up, or slop as you refer to it, is there for two reasons. First, it is designed as a service pistol... You don't want a pistol discharging because of rough handling or a nervous handler. Bottom line is it's there to prevent accidents. It was never intended to be a target trigger. You'll get accustomed to it, the rest of us did.
Thanks for the reply, good to know it's not just my pistol. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but for now I'll use it as a back-up. I'll still qualify it for my CCW, though. Never know when my primary might go down since I fish/backpack with it quite a bit.
However, regarding prevention of accidents, I'd venture to guess it's more for the prevention of lawsuits than accidents. Proper training (note the use of the word PROPER), especially for a "service pistol" should eliminate nervous/rough handling accidents.
I understand it's not a target trigger, but compared to other pistols I use/have fired, it's the most take-up in a trigger that I've EVER seen from an otherwise fine gun.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It is definitely a long take up. No arguing there. Unfortunately, the vast majority of these pistols are owned, not by LE, but by the general public who keep them for home defense, carry and general shooting. These folks do not have the proper, if any, training. If someone breaks into a house in the middle of the night, the average owner is going to be very nervous and he is, by far, the most dangerous person to be handling a gun. He is also the one most likely to be involved with an intruder physically and the gun getting rough handling. I'm sure there is some thought of liability involved, but when I was working on them, the main concern was safety, not liability.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

... but when I was working on them, the main concern was safety, not liability.
Since you've worked on them, is a trigger job to eliminate the take up possible?

·
Registered
191 Posts
quote:Originally posted by emc002

... but when I was working on them, the main concern was safety, not liability.
Since you've worked on them, is a trigger job to eliminate the take up possible?
Not without losing your double action function. Sorry.

·
jlweems
278 Posts
In my opinion, the take-up in S/A is one of the failings of the P series. As I mentioned in another thread, it forces the shooter (me anyway) to slow down in order to be able to shoot it as accurately as some of the other makes of pistol, even when using the reset method.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I noticed the same creep in the single action mode of my KP944 Limeted Edition. I removed that issue with a) a lighter hammer spring and b) I polished the hammer release sear with a fine grit stone on my dremmel. I made the mistake of taking off too much the first time but on its replacement part which was under 3 dollars I got it right and now I dont get the half pull creep. On the other hand I kind of preffered the creep after a long day of mowing or weight lifting, it helped with tired arm shot consistency. So for me its a trade off at the range I use a polished sear and for carry I use a stock sear. Hey parts for this gun are cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts