Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first pistol and was wondering what the best defense ammo would be and the best practice ammo would be for my P95?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey Bama..I also have the P95 and any kind of practice ammo in FMJ will do, I've ran all types federal,CCI, Blazer Brass and even some of the cheap Russian stuff with not a problem. As for HD or SD I use Winchester PDX HP and Federal Hydra Shock HP

·
Super Moderator
16,257 Posts
This is my first pistol and was wondering what the best defense ammo would be and the best practice ammo would be for my P95?
BAMA1 ... Best is a relative term when it comes to ammo :). Since the P95 is not a picky eater, the question really becomes what is best for your needs and wallet. If you're looking to keep your practice costs down as low as possible (short of reloading your own), it will do fine with the typical Walmart offerings of Winchester white box, Federal Champion or TulAmmo. It will also do fine with factory reloads if you can find good pricing an availability your area. On the SD side of the equation, while I prefer the value and performance of Winchester Ranger T Series (147 gr JHP when carrying a 9mm) , there are many great SD rounds on the market today.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I do not know about any other self defense ammo but the Winchester PDX1 brand is supposed to stop within 10-16" of entering an assailant, depending on caliber. The reason I said such a large margin was that they have a .308 rifle round that will stop in about 14-16" IIRC, pistol rounds are usually 12-14. Remember even though you might be in the fight of your life if you have to use your weapon you are still responsible for every bullet you fire even after it hits the assailant so be mindful of what you may hit if it goes through the BG.
As for practice ammo find a brand/weight that has the same POI as your regular SD rounds so if you ever need to use your weapon you know the bullet will impact the same place on the BG that you are used to at the range.
The other SD ammo out there likely has very short stopping distances as well...the Win PDX1 is the only one I have looked into myself.
Darrell

1 - 6 of 6 Posts