Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have issues with Remington UMC in their P95? I took my wife to the range today and she had about half a dozen misfeeds with the UMC. I'm pretty sure it was how she was holding the gun. I shot about 40 rounds with no issues. I was just curious what other's experience with this ammo is. I got it at Wal-Mart in the 250 round yellow box.

Also, anyone have any luck telling the wife how to hold a pistol when she shoots it? I have a feeling that is my take away from today. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Since the pistol/ammo combination worked fine for you, it definitely sounds like a case of limp wristing. I've shot MANY rounds of this bulk ammo in polymer pistols with no issue. Try having her squeeze the grips a little tighter and make sure she's taking a high grip. I hope this helps, unless of course you want the pistol for yourself. :D

Kenny

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had the same problem with my wife and our p95, no matter how hard she held it, but was never able to reproduce it myself.

I finally noticed that she was holding the gun with about 1/16" of space between the web of her hand and the tang(the part where the grip curves back above the grip) I was able to get it to misfeed myself by holding it the same way.

Once I told her to put put her hand as high on the gun as she could, the misfeeds stopped.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Since the pistol/ammo combination worked fine for you, it definitely sounds like a case of limp wristing. I've shot MANY rounds of this bulk ammo in polymer pistols with no issue. Try having her squeeze the grips a little tighter and make sure she's taking a high grip. I hope this helps, unless of course you want the pistol for yourself. :D

Kenny
+1 on Kenny's solution. I'd find her a pretty revolver of some sort and then the P95 can be yours! ;)

·
Super Moderator
16,203 Posts
... Also, anyone have any luck telling the wife how to hold a pistol when she shoots it? I have a feeling that is my take away from today. :rolleyes:
Never been a problem for me, but it always starts with a "honey, would you mind a suggestion that will help with ... (whatever problem that she is experiencing). She is kind enough to do the same for me in areas (such as cooking and gardening) where my technique may be lacking :(. In my experience, it's all in the approach and how you say it ;). YMMV

·
Registered
16,952 Posts
I was shooting some in 230gr out of my XDs Friday and didn't have any feed issues, but at 30 yards, shooting into some 1 gallon rectangle shaped paint thinner cans, I found 4 that didn't even exit out the back.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments. I'll work on her technique next time at the range.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Remington has always been just fine in my P95s. If she is right handed, have her push forward on the grip with her right hand, and at the same time, pull back on the grip with her left. Do the opposite if she is a lefty. HTHs

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This seems to crop up every once in a while, I guess when a new batch of shooters run into UMC. Not a new problem regardless of the gun.

Bad stuff, friends don't let friends shoot UMC.
Good thing I've only got about 1000 rounds of it left. ;) Been buying the Winchester white box lately because wally world finally got some in and it's slightly cheaper than the Remington (for now).

·
Registered
22 Posts
WWB is no winner either, I myself sent 300 rounds back to Winchester due to a lack of a flash hole. I know a bunch of people have been having issues with the 9mm. The primer will ignite and since there is no flash hole it pushes back into the breech face. This jams the weapon and it takes some real effort to clear the round. I've since gone to Federal, Wally world has 100rd packs for $30.00

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Good thing I've only got about 1000 rounds of it left. ;) Been buying the Winchester white box lately because wally world finally got some in and it's slightly cheaper than the Remington (for now).
Well a thousand rounds would make a good door stop. :D

I eventually pulled all the bullets and reloaded the brass.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally found some Federal 9mm at my local Wal-Mart. By the way, none of my Remington UMC rounds look like your picture. I would agree that if I bought something that looked like that I would hesitate before buying the same thing again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It definitely sounds like your wife has a grip problem, and not an ammo problem (but some grip problems can be mitigated with different ammo). Does she shoot the P95 well with other ammo? The UMC might be a little less energetic - or a little less energetic - than other stuff she has shot through the gun. A little more energy can help overcome limp wristing, but then it can also make the gun twist more in her hand - and then cause a loose grip for subsequent shots.

A grip sleeve, skate tape, or bike inner tube grip sleep, can make a world of difference with her grip. I noticed that I couldn't get a high hold without a grip sleeve - after the first shot - because the gun would torque and slip in my hand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts