Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, took my new Ruger P95 with stainless steel slide out to the range and almost everything went great. When I initially received the P95, I took it apart, and did a quick cleaning on it and lube. Hit the range and fired 150 rounds. 100 WWB and another box of 50 that I am uncertain of that I got from the range, No FTF and only 1 FTE on about the 3rd round through her. I am impressed. I had rented this weapon before and really enjoyed it. Now, the problem.

Altogether I fired 9 magazines. I know, the math should equal 10, but as the session wound down and the first box ended, I just fired the 10 rounds. LOL But the issue was that ONLY with the first magazine did the slide lock to the rear when the final round was fired; the other eight times the slide rode back forward and the hammer was cocked and it was ready to fire, except there was no round in the chamber. The brass was ejected successfully. I would think it was an issue with the magazine if it did not happen to both of them consistently. Another interesting thing is that if I placed an empty magazine into the weapon and pulled the slide back, it would lock in place, like it should have after firing the final round. I tried this both at the range and after I thoroughly cleaned the weapon and it did it both times. I mean, I even gave it a few taps when it was locked to the rear to see if it was loose and nothing, it was locked in strong and only rode forward when I manually released the slide. I am soo hoping I do not have to send this back to Ruger.

Hoping to get some input from folks to see what they think. Could this be part of the normal break-in woes, or is it something more serious? Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
recoil spring might be a little tight,you could lock it back and leave it for an hour or two,every once and a while.just like a fresh mag is hard to load to capacity

·
Super Moderator
16,203 Posts
shdwdg ... Given that your lock back issue is happening with both magazines, it's not likely a magazine issue IMHO. I would suspect that it is either a problem with a faulty slide stop (which I've heard of a number of times over the years), or potentially (but less likely) a problem with the grip frame. I would definately contact Ruger CS. While they may simply send you a slide stop to see if it resolves the issue, they may also want you to send it in for service. Good luck ... Let us know how the problem is ultimately resolved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help longbow & Buck. I'm definitely going to contact Ruger CS and see where that gets me. After poring over forums on the Internet, my ridiculously uninformed thoughts are that it could be one of two things:

- Recoil spring is too tight as longbow said, in which case I'm gonna give his idea a few tries.

- The Ammo and slight limp-wristing. The ammo was 115 gr WWB. While they cycled perfectly for 150 rounds, it almost felt like there was no recoil at times. That and the fact that I was gripping it low (I'm pretty sure) may have led to the problem as well. More so because when there is an empty mag in the firearm and I pull the slide to the rear, it locks up just fine.

Oh well, guess i need to go to the range and try again. Have I mentioned I LOVE troubleshooting firearms? Mostly because it almost always necessitates a trip to the range. LOL Thanks again guys fro the input. I really appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
16,203 Posts
- The Ammo and slight limp-wristing. The ammo was 115 gr WWB. While they cycled perfectly for 150 rounds, it almost felt like there was no recoil at times.
Shdwdg ... Usually "limp wristing" will result in a failure to properly eject the spent case (stovepipe) as opposed to creating a lock back issue. Also, I would tend to doubt that the ammo is a contributing factor here as I've put well over 6,000 rounds of WWB 115gn through my P95DC and have never had a single lock back issue. Anyway, good luck and let us know how it all works out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, Buck. If it's not an M-16, I'm not too sure on anything. LOL Gonna call Ruger Monday and see how that goes. I hate the idea of not having my new firearm for a few weeks. This sucks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
mine did this a few times. I cleaned the magazines, and use a little gun grease on the slide release lever. Grease the little ball detent and the notch in the grip frame where the ball contacts. I never have problems anymore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a little update. Spoke to Ruger customer service this morning and the gentleman pretty much reaffirmed what I thought. He recommended using slightly higher grain loads during th ebreak in period. He also mentioned trying to maintain a firmer grip while firing. He said based on the fact that the slide locked positively with an empty magazine when I racked it to the rear that it did not sound like an issue witht he spring or slide release lever. It was funny listening to him try and explain limp wristing without using that phrase. At one point I said, "So, you mean I should try and hold it a little manlier, huh?" He started to get a little nervous until he heard me laugh and I told him I was just busting his chops. So, just means I have an excuse to hit the range again. As an aside, it was nice to speak to someone who was very familiar with the weapon and who seemed to know what they were talking about. Very pleasant to deal with and make my feel even better about going with Ruger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Range Update 2. Went to the range this weekend and put anoth 150 rounds through the P95. 100 WWB and another box from the range guys. All were 115 grain loads. I paid special attention to not let my thumbs hit the slide lock and had zero issues. The slide locked to the rear every single time and I had a blast. Also made a conscious effort to minimize my flinching and anticipating the round firing (which caused me to group low and to the left the first time out) and now the sights are dead on and while I am no sharp shooter, I put every round in the head of the traget and the 9 ring. Only issue I had was one FTF, which in my haste I simply racked the slide, ejected the round, and continued firing the rest of the magazine. Weapon functioned like a dream. I am attributing the slide locking back to the rear to me making an effort to keep my thumbs away from the slide lock, but I also took the following steps leading up to heading back to the range:

- I dissasembled the weapon and worked the slide lock in and out a few times to mate the pieces together a little better.

- I made sure to lube the slide lock a little both along the bar that slides in, as well as the point on the left side of the pistol frame where the lock rests. Not too crazy with the lube, but enough to apparently help.

- Twice this week before leaving for work I locked the slide to rear and left it that way while I was at work. About 8 hours each time. My reason for doing this was that I thought maybe the recoil spring was a little tight and was allowing the slide to ride back enough to properly eject and chamber a round, but not enough to lock the slide back.

Whatever I did, it worked. All in all I have 300 rounds through the P95 with one FTE and one FTF. Not too bad IMO. Anticipate it only getting better from here on out. Hopefully this will help anyone going through the same thing. I noticed someone else in the forum mention the exact same thing. Thanks for all the input everyone.

·
too great for words
661 Posts
my thumb used to hit the slide release all the time until I adjusted my thumb position. I get a chuckle every time I see one of these threads and everyone rattles off a list of potential problems with the gun but lots of times I never see anyone ask the obvious.

the simplest answer is usually the correct one

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, took my new Ruger P95 with stainless steel slide out to the range and almost everything went great. When I initially received the P95, I took it apart, and did a quick cleaning on it and lube. Hit the range and fired 150 rounds. 100 WWB and another box of 50 that I am uncertain of that I got from the range, No FTF and only 1 FTE on about the 3rd round through her. I am impressed. I had rented this weapon before and really enjoyed it. Now, the problem.

Altogether I fired 9 magazines. I know, the math should equal 10, but as the session wound down and the first box ended, I just fired the 10 rounds. LOL But the issue was that ONLY with the first magazine did the slide lock to the rear when the final round was fired; the other eight times the slide rode back forward and the hammer was cocked and it was ready to fire, except there was no round in the chamber. The brass was ejected successfully. I would think it was an issue with the magazine if it did not happen to both of them consistently. Another interesting thing is that if I placed an empty magazine into the weapon and pulled the slide back, it would lock in place, like it should have after firing the final round. I tried this both at the range and after I thoroughly cleaned the weapon and it did it both times. I mean, I even gave it a few taps when it was locked to the rear to see if it was loose and nothing, it was locked in strong and only rode forward when I manually released the slide. I am soo hoping I do not have to send this back to Ruger.

Hoping to get some input from folks to see what they think. Could this be part of the normal break-in woes, or is it something more serious? Thanks in advance everyone.
I had this same problem, i fixed it by Using sandpaper to sand down the plastic where the slide lock is. My P95 had to much frame and it wouldn’t release the slide lock mechanism So sand it down 1/2 inch and it should pop Up and lock the slide as it should.

·
Super Moderator
21,213 Posts
Thanks for the info. This is quite an old thread and the OP was last on over 8 years ago so pretty close to 100% he won't get back to you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had this problem with some gun, cut in slide was not square enough. Small file and 20 sec. fixed the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts