Ruger Forum banner

P95 Digestion problems

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  denis 
#1 ·
In the life of my P95, I have shot exactly 1000 rounds of 115 grain fmj with no problems, and 400 rounds of 147 grain fmj with lots of problems.

I have heard people talk about their pistol preferring some ammo over another, but I have always assumed that it was due to accuracy issues.

I know that hollowpoints can cause problems for some pistols, but has anybody else had ammo problems (jams and a stovepipe or two) due to the grain?

#3 ·
don't think its unique...............

the 147 gr round is a problem child for some other guns out there including a browning hi-power.

believe that besides the bullet profile/shape and OAL differences for the cartridges, there is also the subject of energy/pressures for slide operation.

While i'm no expert on the subject, I believe most autoloaders were designed around the 115 gr or 124 gr round for best performance. When anything lighter or heavier gets introduced out of the norm, then potential problems might arise.

When it comes to the 147 gr 9mm, it becomes a classic argument of bullet weight/momentum vs speed/energy.

#7 ·
It was a 147 gr fmj from a local company that is very reputable. I have talked to several people who use their products, and they have not had problems. The only one I talked to who had shot the 147 gr fmj from this company did not have any problems with it, but he had only run about 100 rounds of it. I have only heard praise about the quality of this company's ammo.

#11 ·
I haven't shot nearly 1000 rds yet,more like 200. however,in those 200 i have used the following ammo,winchester 115gr fmj,winchester 115 jhp,winchester 147gr jhp,remington 124 gr fmj,blazer115gr gr fmj.I have even mixed mags with hollow-points and full metal jacket rds.To date i have exactly 0 malfunctions.peace,mc

#12 ·
As much as I like my P95, I will probably never buy another box of Remington UMC FMJ ammo for it. It seems to leave more residue than other brands and toward the end of a shooting session I have had misfeeds during two different sessions.

Now I tend to use Winchester in the white box when I feel the need to buy ammo, otherwise I use my reloads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.