Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new here, and I just got a brand new P 95. I took it to the range today fresh out of the box and put 150 rounds through it. I had 122 failures to eject the spent casing. I also had 19 instances where the new round was not properly inserted into the receiver from the magazine which cause a jam. I used 2 different magazines and 3 brands of ammunition. The same response from all.

Any suggestions or did I get a dud?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Run some rounds through it by just racking the slide and not firing. If it ejects all of these, I most likely isn't your ejector. Maybe your chamber has a bit of goop in it and is causing you cases to stick in there?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that. I'm relatively new to guns, so I'm going to ask a stupid question. Was I supposed to clean it thoroughly before I started shooting? I took it out of the box into started to work with it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've heard of people stripping new firearms down and cleaning the snot out of it, but I never thought it was unnecessary. I'm just trying to make sure you don't have to send yours back to the factory. It's worth a shot! BTW, if you are new to guns, the first advise I would give would be, don't read the back of the WD-40 can. It is not ok for firearms! (That can make things slimy and sticky.)

Oh, and BTW, welcome to the forum from Nebraska! Didn't we beat you guys in a football game this last weekend? :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have a P95 and have had the same problem. Clean it completely, and put just a little oil on the outside of the barrel, the barrel hood, and along the slide rails. Makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's reassuring. Thank you. I'll do that. Have a quick question, I noticed on some of the tech tips vids on the Ruger website that they recommended some gun grease to use on part of the slide before putting the gun back together. Is there a brand anybody could recommend? I've only heard of gun oil. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have all of the 9mm "P" series pistols and TWO of the P95's. I never had a malfunction of any kind with any of them.

Flash

·
Registered
534 Posts
That's reassuring. Thank you. I'll do that. Have a quick question, I noticed on some of the tech tips vids on the Ruger website that they recommended some gun grease to use on part of the slide before putting the gun back together. Is there a brand anybody could recommend? I've only heard of gun oil. Thanks for your help.
I use Tetra grease on the slide with my p95 but just enough where it looks "wet" and oil (Corrosion X or break-free) everywhere else.
:D

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
rmills63 get someone who knows how to shoot a semi-auto handgun to try yours and see if it's not the gun but the way you're holding it. You could be 'linp-wristing' the weapon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I first got my P95, I had to keep the slide rails relatively wet with plain-old gun oil. Also, I had to make sure I wasn't limpwristing. And I added a grip sleeve, because the P95 has a grip that is sort of slick that twists in my hand.

But 122 of 150 failures to eject really, REALLY sounds like you are not providing a firm foundation for the slide to function correctly. I didn't want to hear it when someone told me I was probably limpwristing, especially since my prior handgun was a .357, but a .357 revolver is NOT a semiauto.

And no matter what anyone says, some guns just take a few hundred rounds to run well. Either the gun improves - or you do.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just use regular Hoppe's gun oil. Not the best, but it works good enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Have a P95 and have had the same problem. Clean it completely, and put just a little oil on the outside of the barrel, the barrel hood, and along the slide rails. Makes a world of difference.
Absolutely correct! Cleaned and oiled it, took it to the range today...

P E R F E C T

The change is unbelievable. Thanks to all of you for your help.

:) :) :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Glad to hear it worked for you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts