Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local gun shop and found 2 good deal's. A brand new Ruger P97 for $300 and a VERY slightly used CZ97b for $415. I like them both. The P97 could do range and CCW duty, whereas the CZ97b is pretty much relegated to range/house only due to its size. I cant decide and buying both is not an option:( Can anyone who owns both give me some input? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Ruger in a heartbeat. Better gun to start with and Ruger is here to fix it if it ever
needs fixin.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have shot the cz and it is a fine weapon that had excellent accuracy and was reliable. But it is one big heavy gun and the dbl action reach of the trigger is very, very long. Also this cz did not have ambi controls so it is not left hand friendly. The cz does give you a choice of hammer down or cocked and locked. As i recall, holster options for the cz97 are limited. The Ruger would be a better choice for a lefty and ccw. Holsters are probably more plentiful for the ruger than the cz.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The P97 is very easy to conceal carry, mush easier than my Colt 1911. So as you can guess my choice between the two is the P97.

·
Registered
842 Posts
quote:Originally posted by cavediver

The P97 is very easy to conceal carry, mush easier than my Colt 1911. So as you can guess my choice between the two is the P97.
I argue that all of the time. The P97 may be a tad thicker but it's sure lighter in weight than a 1911 and quite easy to conceal. Had a young man working at the indoor range give me a lecture a while back about how Rugers were strong but not good carry guns because of their size. I let him ramble on for a few minutes then lifted my shirt to show the P97 in an IWB holster. Seemed to be surprised most of all that it was a .45:)
Baker

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
P97-quality-ease of carry-quality-beauty-quality-American made-did I say quality? Is it a decocker or straight safety model? SS or blue? At 300-you could not lose...even if you traded later-I'd buy it and never look back...sure miss the two I had for a few years...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up getting a good-very good condition (mostly holster wear on trigger guard and slide) SIG P220 with 3 mags and a nice leather holster for $375. I'm still toying with the idea of going back and puting the Ruger P97 on lay away and sneak it home in the fall!!!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Go figure...we pour our hearts out and you go out with a new girl!!!! 220...now, let me see, that's .45-OK, we'll be OK on that, now go put the P97 on layaway before you forget it...boy, this match-making's hard work....I'm going to the coffee shop.......

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Sounds lik a good buy. I have a sig forced upon me currently. Just don't like the decock feature as a lefty. Checking into the possibility of converting to dao.
Also, got to try out a trooper's sig 226 .357sig with the DAK trigger. It was sure sweet. And that round sure does get down range in a hurry!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I KNOW I KNOW...but you know how it is...someone made me a deal I couldn't refuse! I think I am going to stop back in and toss that P97 on lay away. Cuz you cant have to many .45's in your collection.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Deputy125, are the DPS still issued the .357Sig ? I remember when they tried it...how is it to shoot compared to .45??? I almost bought a 220 once, then they said none shipped DAO-have to send a regular one back and pay more to convert to DAO-there went that plan....wnycollector...I'm just giving you a hard time...now go live up to your name and collect......

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
As far as i know, all dps troopers turned back in the standard decocker sig 226 and were issued a new sig 226 with the DAK trigger in .357 sig.
As far as shooting it, it had less percieved recoil and faster recovery time than my issued sig pro mdl 2340 in 40 s&w. Can't really say if it was more of a difference in the cartridges or the guns. Still a bit of a sharper rap than a 45 though. Still gave the impression of lightning bolts going down range and it is controlable. No problems with head shots on a b-27 at 15 yds.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks...never fired a Sig let alone their .357...this new DAK trigger deal-is that a true DAO? Second strike capability? I know they're high but I'd like to see a .45 about the size of a 239 with DAO...I've heard all my life...Sig don't snap...never heard of a malfunction in the field...have you?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
The sig DAK does have 2nd strike capability. Also, when firing the hammer rests at "quarter cock" shortening the stroke just a bit after the slide cycles. It is extremely smooth stroke with no "gravel, sand, roughness, hitch" or anything like that in the pull.
I've seen 220's jam. but that may had been the shooters. Been told that dps got away from the 220 because of some cracks developing in the frames but i don't know if there is any truth to that.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
The list gets longer...gonna get a catalog and learn some new things...thanks...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts