Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my son has a p97 with a odd problem. he is in irac now so im trying to help. he has been shooting winchester white box 45 but does this with other brands. every few rounds,(i dont know how many),one round will have noticable more recoil, muzzle blast, and some gas blowback. thanks--phil

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,826 Posts
Wow, that's a tough one. Normally when you experience this sort of thing, it's the ammo. Could be the barrel isn't locking into the slide properly, though I've never known this to happen with a P-97.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thats the first thing that came to my mind as well Iowegan especially with the comment of gas blowback. I would take a good look to make sure the slide is fully going into battery after every shot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, its scary too. the thing goes bang--bang--boooom. i was thinking that it may bee feeding roughly and pushing some of the bullets back into the case. maybe we can figure it out when he gets back from irac. its just we were hopeing to have something figured out by then so we have time to shoot before he goes back. otherwise he will have to use brand X pistol.-phil

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Not if you buy him a brand spankin' new P90DC......prayers for your son while he's fighting for us all, Phil...when does the young hero come home?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Good luck to your son Phil. Tell him were all proud of him. [^]
When he get's back, supris him with a new P345 or a P90 like sheepdog said. In the meantime, I'm sure Iowegan won't sleep till' he figgures out the problem with the P97.:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for your prayers and good wishes fella's. this is his third trip over there, and he isnt sure when exactly when he will be back.
unfortunetly he bought this pistol used and we didnt pick up on this problen untill we had moved away from it purchase point. i remember we took it down once and looked it over, and it just looked new to us. the only other thing i can think of is the fact it doesnt like bullets lighter than 230 grain. it seems to me it would short cycle with them and jam.--phil

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have seen this problem with several semi-auto pistols and exactly what has been mentioned above was the "problem" found. As the round fed into the chamber the bullet was "pushed" back into the case due to a "loose" crimp and the retort was definitely extremely loud upon firing! I believe the "increased" pressure in the case created this situation. This can easily be checked out by "extracting" the cartridge from the chamber unfired and checking the bullet seat.............Dick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey guy's, i got my first 45 back around 1980, and i aint sure but didnt the older ammo have a groove around the case just below the bullet? if thats true does anyone know of a brand that has it now? i noticed the stuff i have buying lately doesnt have it. that might be a good test to see if thats the problem, if i ccould find some ammo with that groove in it.-phil

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Before I sent my gun off, I'd take it down and clean it thoroughly-especially the chamber and rails and rail grooves...lightly lube it with oil, and then put a couple of boxes through it...if it's not locking up right-it might just be buildup-seems that a mechanical problem would be more constant...my two P97s worked like a sewing machine with two shots of Canadian Club in it...I sure miss them....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Let me clarify my above post. In all but "one" of the incidents I mentioned, I found "feeding" irregularities that caused the cartridge to not go straight and smoothly into the chamber. The bullet nose was at a slight angle or such "some" of the time causing it to be forced back into the case when it struck a barrel/ramp obstruction. Some people believe that because a cartridge "feeds" properly, the operation is like "soft butter on a hot potato"! Nothing could be further from the truth. Any cartridge feed in a semi-auto is a slam-bang "violent" affair to say the least. A lot of things can and do go wrong. In the "one" incident, I worked that pistol for a long time and could find absolutely no "feeding" problem with it. I filed that in the back of my mind under the "category" Hmmmmmm! Believe me, every Gunsmith has one of those "categories" if he/she has worked very many guns!...................Dick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi folk's, i did call ruger about this before and again today. the tech said it sound like a ammo problem to him. the problem is when this gun is being fired im next to him in the other lane fireing my 1911 clone out of his ammo box! no problems with mine! the gun is kept very clean and lubed. im going to just let this go for now untill i get the pistol here in front of me so i can check it out. i realy think its a feeding problem. im going to fire it myself and check every round it self loads for o.a.l.-phil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts