Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any ideas?

The decock works when the chamber is empty, but when I have one in the pipe, only the left side lever works. This is a problem for me, being left-handed and all. I am scared to go opening the gun up all kinds of ways without some guidance, and there is nothing even close to a qualified gunsmith in these parts.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Look at the extractor... The right side decocker is retained by the extractor, it fits in a machined slot in the decock lever. When you have a chambered round, tension is placed on the extractor, and this could be binding the decock lever... As a sidenote, a call to Ruger with a detailed description, may get a new extractor sent for free...

Click here for Extractor Removal

·
Registered
191 Posts
I doubt it is an extractor problem. The left lever is the one that actually performs the decocking function. There is some play between the two levers which explains why one works and the other doesn't. It sounds as though the decocking function of your pistol is operating marginally at best. You really should call Ruger about it. However, the parts involved in the decocking are the sear and safety/decocker levers. You may be able to talk them into sending you a new set of levers, but they won't send you a sear. It will probably be necessary for you to send the pistol in for service to have the problem corrected. They should do it under warranty. Try to get them to pick up the shipping, too. Make sure you tell them that you feel this is a 'safety issue', it often helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts