Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was the Ruger P97 slide stop problem a real problem with a lot of guns or just a few here and there ? I can't find a straight answer without people either slamming Ruger or just saying it was a myth and a bunch of hype.
Anyone know for sure and what did Ruger do to solve the problem ? And what years were the guns affected ? Thanks for any information .

·
Registered
546 Posts
It was real; some slide stops were susceptible to harmonic vibration, and could loosen/fall out during use. Ruger's solution was to tolerance-match a replacement slide stop to individual affected P97s.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was real; some slide stops were susceptible to harmonic vibration, and could loosen/fall out during use. Ruger's solution was to tolerance-match a replacement slide stop to individual affected P97s.

Best, Jon
So was it as simple as Ruger making a new Slide Stop and them sending one out to install in your P97 ?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Basically yes, although what they preferred to do as I recall was to have the P97 shipped to them so that they could ensure that a properly sized slide stop was installed and the problem eliminated. The would also simultaneously go through the entire gun, which was a nice side benefit.

If you have a P97 with that slide stop issue, I'm sure that they'll do the same today; Ruger's Customer Service Department's aftermarket support is legendary.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am curious if the slide stop was fitted to the locking block/recoil rod part, or the frame, for this harmonic vibration thingy.

I have had not problems with my 2001 production P97DC, with a few thousand down the pipe.

I am curious about if the spare slide stop in my parts kit will be as good.

Also, I believe Ruger is out of most spare parts like slide stops. I'd be hesitant to ship it in, unless I lived outside California and could get an SR or 1911 instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts