Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I'm new to this forum. Normally I'd be posting my first communique in the New Member section, but a problem has developed and I need advice. I hope the kind folks here can assist. I will do my very best to put into words exactly what my trouble is.

I have a P97DC for about 8 years now. As most happy Ruger owners, I experienced flawless performance during all this time. There have been approximately 4000 rounds fired through this gun over the years, again with no problems. This includes various brands of ammunition, hollow points, FMJ, +P as well as reloads. At this point I also want to mention I have always taken very good care of this firearm. It's always cleaned to "inspection" standards after any and every shooting session.

Within the past 2 weeks, I noticed something disturbing. At the beginning of a shooting session I lock the slide back, load in a full factory magazine, release the slide and realize the round will not chamber completely. No stovepipe, the round just won't chamber all the way. It gets "stuck" about halfway into the chamber. I drop the magazine and "jiggle" the slide to release the bullet. Other times a light to moderate tap on the slide will close the slide completely. WHen I finally CAN get the thing to chamber properly, the gun fires and cycles flawlessly. Then, when the magazine empties and the slide locks back, I drop the empty magazine, pop in a new one, press the slide release, then again the slide will not "slam" forward completely because a bullet will not properly enter the chamber. This happens with different ammo brands. So far I've done everything in my power to remedy this. I cleaned the gun and all magazines to the point where I can use them as eating utensils. I again tried different ammunition brands and unfortunately the problem reoccurs.

This is particularly frustrating at this point because I want to carry this weapon on a new job. Maybe it's Murphy's Law. I'm really pi$$ed at this gun right now. There is no way I'll feel safe carrying it until I can get this problem resolved. Emergency reloads need to be flawless. And until now they always have been with this gun.

The thought of shipping this thing to Ruger isn't appealing, but I will if I must. But first I'd like to hear what folks on this forum have to say.

Thank you in advance. If anyone needs more details or questions answered, I'll be here. [V]

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
8 years and 4000 rds,---maybe the recoil spring is tired? New spring may be needed.

·
Registered
704 Posts
quote:Originally posted by deputy125

8 years and 4000 rds,---maybe the recoil spring is tired? New spring may be needed.
I agree, but have you tried racking the slide for that last bit of extra travel, instead of just using the release ???

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Both the replies sound logical. I would rack the slide all the way back and turn it loose and let it slam down. If it works that way, there is a good chance the recoil spring is getting weak, and won't let it slam down when you release it with the catch.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Another indicator of a weak recoil spring is the spent casings fly further from the gun... Normal should be 3-6 feet. If your getting cases out to 10 feet, you may very well have a weak recoil spring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never considered how far the brass flew away. Yes, it's usually quite far. I'll go ahead and replace the recoil spring. It will be great if thats the solution.

If my problem turns out to be a weakened recoil spring, I must say I'll be a little surprized...I didn't think ~4000 rounds was that many for a Ruger.

Anyway, thanks for the quick reponses. I'll let you know the results.

Would y'all recomend a Ruger factory replacement spring or some aftermarket brand? I've heard the name Wolff mentioned before. Is this the same Wolff that makes that russian ammo?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I wait for my new recoil spring to arrive I'd like to ask a practical question. [?]

What advantages/disadvantages are there with using a "heavier" recoil spring vs. the original factory weight. I ask because I noticed these heavier ones are available at the Wolff sight.

Oh, BTW, Ruger charges...[V]

·
Registered
155 Posts
Enigma, A "heavier" recoil spring does several things to "enhance" reliability. Remember that there are several "factors" trying to "retard" the slide "function"! The "weight" of the slide, slide rail "friction", magazine spring "friction", hammer "cocking", magazine lip "configuration", chamber "dimension", feed ramp "smoothness", etc., etc.! As long as you use "factory" loads or better, you should have no problem utilizing a "heavier" recoil spring. Hope this gives you a better understanding of slide "function"................Dick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Enigma, A "heavier" recoil spring does several things to "enhance" reliability. Remember that there are several "factors" trying to "retard" the slide "function"! The "weight" of the slide, slide rail "friction", magazine spring "friction", hammer "cocking", magazine lip "configuration", chamber "dimension", feed ramp "smoothness", etc., etc.! As long as you use "factory" loads or better, you should have no problem utilizing a "heavier" recoil spring. Hope this gives you a better understanding of slide "function"................Dick

I appreciate your response to my question, but at the same time there's no need to be an ***hole. It's not called for.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Now, now Enigma... That is his name... not an insult....

My name is Richard, and us Richard's have this mis-understanding all the time...

I am sure you can understand...:)

And if you were joking, please say that in the future...:D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
A lot of autos don't feed well by dropping the slide on a full mag with the slide release-I always load the mag with the slide forward, then rack it and drop it-letting it travel forward full speed to chamber one...then drop the hammer with the decocker, and put one more in the mag...learned that on the old Colt 1911...many moons ago...now it's a habit...you've got a great pistol...had a decocker and a DAO a couple of years back, looking for them all the time...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

A lot of autos don't feed well by dropping the slide on a full mag with the slide release-I always load the mag with the slide forward, then rack it and drop it-letting it travel forward full speed to chamber one...then drop the hammer with the decocker, and put one more in the mag...learned that on the old Colt 1911...many moons ago...now it's a habit...you've got a great pistol...had a decocker and a DAO a couple of years back, looking for them all the time...
+1 Sheepdog. Works better and is easier on the slide release.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ah Enigma, My "name" is Dick as Mr. Nettles stated. I simply was answering your question and certainly not "insulting" you in any manner. I sign all my posts with "Dick". Maybe I should use Richard but have never liked that "handle"...........I'm simply an old gunsmith trying to help others with what knowledge I have and certainly not looking for a fight. I did all my "fighting" years ago when I played lead guitar for 26 years in Redneck bars! Believe me, I'm "feeling" some of those old aches and pains at this age!..............Dick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts